Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Does your child have problems certain months out of the year?....

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:11 AM
  • 15 Replies

My 9 year old son has Aspergers and each year from December until Mid April he does a downward spiral.  We see problems at school.  Compliance issues at home.  His self esteem goes through the floor and he's just generally unhappy.

We're tried full spectrum lighting for our home, incase it's seasonal depression, etc.  We've tried tightening our routines and uping our motivational system around that time and it's only minimally helpful.  This year we are thinking of taking a long weekend vacation to a waterpark or someplace sunny so that it's upbeat and fun.

Do any of you have this same problem?  And if so what have you tried?

Thanks.

Melanie

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LIMom1105
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:29 AM
My first thought was seasonal depression, but it could also be lack of activity in the winter months if you ate someplace cold. Does he get as much running, playing in as he dies in the warmer months?
Arkmom2Two
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I would say no, there is a lot less activity here in the winter months.  We live in Western PA so the weather is unpredictable, usually snow or ice in the winter months.  I will definately try upping the exercise.

MistyMoo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:15 AM
We have a problem between April and June, I figure by that point he's been focused on school for so long and he's just getting restless.. When he starts having big problems at school we do half days and he f goes in the afternoon only. That's been working fairly well. He's only in grade 1. other than that he had no problems, it's all at school where he had his issues..
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:02 AM

This is something that I have not noticed yet. Have you thought about Vitamin D. I know that it helps me through the winter months. 

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Love this picture of your kids smiling

emarin77
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM

My son had problems during preschool a couple of odd times each year.  I would talk to your son and see what is bothering him and why does his confidence go down during those months.

Bobcatridge
by Carol on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:21 PM

My 12 1/2 yr old daughter (aspergers, generalized anxiety disorder) starts having problems in mid-Oct and the problems increase until April/May and have resulted in major depression the last two years.  We live in California and it is sunny nice weather all year round.  We do have rain in the winter months but it is still pretty sunny.  I don't think it is the lack of sunshine or exercise for her.  My daughter has a severe phobia of death, dying, and anything scary.  That means the coming of Halloween is always traumatic.  Also the Christmas holidays are major stressors for her.  We usually see relatives over the Christmas holiday including this one niece who is a year older than my daughter and this kid loves all things scary.  My daughter loves her counsin and wants to see her but every association usually involves months of extra therapy.  And finally, school in itself is a huge stressor and the social skills problems and bullying that result cause more anxiety.  For our daughter it is an increasing spiral of anxiety.  We finally figured out a combination of anti-anxiety meds that really do work.  As far as what we did to help besides the meds, well there has been two years of cognitive behavioral therapy on the death and dying phobia which has helped immensely.  There was also a year of more intensive social skills therapy (group and some individual) that has also helped some.  My daughter has made progress on the friend front but it is still problamatic.  We also do relaxation tapes and relaxation exercises especially before bed or when she is very stressed.  We usually try to do several weekend type trips but these actually seem to increase stress for my daughter - she prefers home.  This year seems to be better so far so I am hopeful.  She seems to be doing better with the scary stuff and actually is excited about Halloween.  This year is different - she is in 7th grade and there are Halloween Dance Socials and parties.  There is less talk about trick or treating and more talk on the socials.  She has 3 Halloween socials/parties on the schedule and is going as Hatsune Miku, a Japanese singing vocaloid with 4 ft long blue pigtails.  She is anxious about these parties and wants me be 'on call' in case she has problems.  I am chapperoning two of them but there is one that I will not be chapperoning.  Oh yes, there is that boy girl thing starting - I am not ready for this.  Last year my daughter hated boys (yuk a boy!) and that was it.  This year, well she has no interest of the romantic nature of any kind but she thinks the boys are more interesting - they tend to like video games, adventure science fiction books, and other interests that she has. 

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I have never had this problem with my son. He has hard days, but not hard months.

Arkmom2Two
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Although I'm very sorry your daughter has issues about Halloween (I honestly wouldn't wish that on anyone), I have to say that I wish my son had issues.  Halloween is one of his obessions.  We have to plead with him to wait until Oct. 1 to decorate (we even needed a countdown chart this year).

It very well could be the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays although we usually don't go out very much and visit with relatives.

My daughter also has Anxiety issues as well as Aspergers but she only shows symptoms of these outside of school.  She holds herself together all day and then melts down when she gets home.  

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:08 PM

My son is the same, we had to stay firm with waiting until Oct 1 before decorating!  He never lets us forget stuff, that's for sure:)

Quoting Arkmom2Two:

Although I'm very sorry your daughter has issues about Halloween (I honestly wouldn't wish that on anyone), I have to say that I wish my son had issues.  Halloween is one of his obessions.  We have to plead with him to wait until Oct. 1 to decorate (we even needed a countdown chart this year).

It very well could be the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays although we usually don't go out very much and visit with relatives.

My daughter also has Anxiety issues as well as Aspergers but she only shows symptoms of these outside of school.  She holds herself together all day and then melts down when she gets home.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)