Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Does your child have problems certain months out of the year?....

Posted by   + Show Post

My 9 year old son has Aspergers and each year from December until Mid April he does a downward spiral.  We see problems at school.  Compliance issues at home.  His self esteem goes through the floor and he's just generally unhappy.

We're tried full spectrum lighting for our home, incase it's seasonal depression, etc.  We've tried tightening our routines and uping our motivational system around that time and it's only minimally helpful.  This year we are thinking of taking a long weekend vacation to a waterpark or someplace sunny so that it's upbeat and fun.

Do any of you have this same problem?  And if so what have you tried?

Thanks.

Melanie

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Replies (11-15):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:44 PM

For us it is January through December.  Might differ in the challenge at hand, but there is always something!  

This summer I am anticipating a very hard time though.  He is not a good transitioner and will be leaving his teacher that he's had for 2 years and LOVES.  He just is not going to get it, and I know it will be a hard summer for all of us. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Same here.  Good luck mama!

Quoting TheLadyAmalthea:

I have never had this problem with my son. He has hard days, but not hard months.

Ajisai43
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:18 AM

Could it be that there are not big, exciting holidays during those months? Perhaps planning a party of some sort would help with the fun factor? Maybe celebrate half birthdays or something? Have him involved in planning if possible? I don't know, just thinking out loud.  But I hope you find some answers, because it doesn't sound like a pleasant time for anyone in the family during those particular months.  Best of luck! :)

Koltie6
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 8:09 AM
My son has increased seizure activity usually starting in october. Seasonal allergies cause him inflammation.
Arkmom2Two
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Our BSC has actually suggested this as well.  We're going to try doing more upbeat (party type) things for Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, and Easter.  Awesome suggestion!

Quoting Ajisai43:

Could it be that there are not big, exciting holidays during those months? Perhaps planning a party of some sort would help with the fun factor? Maybe celebrate half birthdays or something? Have him involved in planning if possible? I don't know, just thinking out loud.  But I hope you find some answers, because it doesn't sound like a pleasant time for anyone in the family during those particular months.  Best of luck! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)