Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

He won't stop playing in the bathroom

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:12 AM
  • 9 Replies
Ds is 6 and high functioning. At school he started getting bored and going in the bathroom while in there he spread foam soap everywhere. This has happened a few times at school. They did not punish him in anyway until last week they moved his pin down. At home we have taken things away. This week he has started playing in the bathroom at home. The worst of it was him plugging the toilet on purpose and flooding out the bathroom.
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
t1gger143
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Opps mobile posted too soon. I know I'm not alone in this. What worked for you? He has to stop this!
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Sorry to hear he is doing this. Sounds like he likes the way the soap feels or looks around the bathroom. I would tell the school to try the buddy system and see if he continues to do this. Maybe having someone in the restroom would help. Or ask them to put up signs or pictures that say don't play with soap. Visuals might help.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Sorry mama!  My son likes the bathroom too...he likes to open and close all the cabinet doors, the toilet lid, he would turn on the water if he knew how!

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Sorry Mama.  Not there yet, so no advice.  We get poop and paint though in any room of the house if that makes you feel better. :) 

Ajisai43
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Hmmm, haven't had much experience with this kind of stuff with my son, but two things stand out for me.  The sensory input from the soap must be what your kiddo is craving.  Is there a way to have a designated soap time for him at school, maybe even having you provide a bottle for him and him only? Maybe somehow work it into a reward or sorts or something?

The toilet issue - does he like mechanical things? Maybe you could divert his attention by having him build things, or go on line and have him see how toilets flush, how the waters goes from here to there, how toilets get backed up? I don't know, just thinking out loud here.  But good luck, I know messy toilets can ruin anyone's day.

t1gger143
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Backwards diapers and onsies. I've been there.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Sorry Mama.  Not there yet, so no advice.  We get poop and paint though in any room of the house if that makes you feel better. :) 

t1gger143
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Good idea there has to be a how's that made

Quoting Ajisai43:

Hmmm, haven't had much experience with this kind of stuff with my son, but two things stand out for me.  The sensory input from the soap must be what your kiddo is craving.  Is there a way to have a designated soap time for him at school, maybe even having you provide a bottle for him and him only? Maybe somehow work it into a reward or sorts or something?

The toilet issue - does he like mechanical things? Maybe you could divert his attention by having him build things, or go on line and have him see how toilets flush, how the waters goes from here to there, how toilets get backed up? I don't know, just thinking out loud here.  But good luck, I know messy toilets can ruin anyone's day.

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:21 PM

My oldest loved playing in the sink, usually just turning on and off the water. He doesn't do that anymore. Now my youngest does that too now and he also loves playing with the water in the toilet. He never put anything in the toilet. He's pretty good, if we keep the door closed, but not always though. 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Yep!  

Luckily we're in a down patch right now.  Love clean walls! 

Quoting t1gger143:

Backwards diapers and onsies. I've been there.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)