Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

weird iep/preschool question

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM
  • 27 Replies

if i pull my son out of special ed preschool next year and don't use the autism scholarship (ohio) will he lose his iep for kindergarden? He is doing so well and catching up so fast this year and I really need to work. So I was thinking of pulling him out of special preschool and sending him to a daycare that has a lot of experience with autistic children next year. Then sending him to kindergarden the next year. Will he lose his iep? I'm pretty sure he won't get it back if he loses it, because he is catching up really fast in scholastic areas.

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Clemency3
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I don't know how that works. I am shocked by it only because we are talking preschool vs. public school. I know that when you drop it in public school it is INSANELY hard to get it back. I would talk to the person that you speak with in regards to his current IEP and see what they say. 

But my question is...why can't he just stay where he is while you work? 

CafeMom Tickers
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM

In Iowa, if we pulled them out for a year they would need re-evaluated to see if their needs still qualified.  Services would not necessarily just take back up after the year off.  Our IEP continues as long as we continue in the public schools year after year (and the need exists, which it would for my kids).  

Our teachers in general say it's a lot harder to get an IEP from the elementary school system than coming off the continued under 3 prek program.  They do not like to discontinue them unless they are sure the child will no longer need it.  Good luck.  That's a hard call.  Can you not work if he stays in the program like you would be if he were in the daycare you mention?  Some daycares will even transport from school to daycare or vice versa if you just need longer hours, but you don't pay for the hours your child is in the school.  Not sure if that applies to you, but just in case.

EthansMomma2010
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 3:02 PM
It isn't full day and I can't find a daycare I trust that will let him go half days and is in district so that he can be bussed to school.

Quoting Clemency3:

I don't know how that works. I am shocked by it only because we are talking preschool vs. public school. I know that when you drop it in public school it is INSANELY hard to get it back. I would talk to the person that you speak with in regards to his current IEP and see what they say. 

EthansMomma2010
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 3:03 PM
See my other reply. Its a district issue. I tried to find an alternative.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

In Iowa, if we pulled them out for a year they would need re-evaluated to see if their needs still qualified.  Services would not necessarily just take back up after the year off.  Our IEP continues as long as we continue in the public schools year after year (and the need exists, which it would for my kids).  

Our teachers in general say it's a lot harder to get an IEP from the elementary school system than coming off the continued under 3 prek program.  They do not like to discontinue them unless they are sure the child will no longer need it.  Good luck.  That's a hard call.  Can you not work if he stays in the program like you would be if he were in the daycare you mention?  Some daycares will even transport from school to daycare or vice versa if you just need longer hours, but you don't pay for the hours your child is in the school.  Not sure if that applies to you, but just in case.

jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 3:29 PM

why can he go to school and then daycare or daycare then school if he is in an afternoon class. the developemental preschool my son goes to offers bussing .so if it came down to it i could have him bussed to therapy after school and then have his therapist take him to daycare when they are done.

EthansMomma2010
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 3:32 PM

the only daycare that will work with the hours needed and i feel comfortable with is out of district so he can't be bussed.

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

why can he go to school and then daycare or daycare then school if he is in an afternoon class. the developemental preschool my son goes to offers bussing .so if it came down to it i could have him bussed to therapy after school and then have his therapist take him to daycare when they are done.

jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 3:36 PM

is it possable to have a friend or his dad pick him up at school and take him to daycare

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

the only daycare that will work with the hours needed and i feel comfortable with is out of district so he can't be bussed.

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

Clemency3
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 3:47 PM

what about state subsidy help with making it full day?

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

It isn't full day and I can't find a daycare I trust that will let him go half days and is in district so that he can be bussed to school.

Quoting Clemency3:

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Id ask your special education dept.
my hope is IF he needs the help, he will get it. But i have a great district!
LIMom1105
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 6:56 PM
I would talk to your CPSE chair. My son started out in daycare, with an IEP. His therapists went to the daycare, and I drove him (we got reimbursed for mileage by the county). At some point it became clear the daycare wasn't working out, so he went to a preschool that was integrated.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)