Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Is it too much?

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:30 PM
  • 13 Replies
My daughter will be four soon and was diagnosed with severe Autism just before her third birthday. She is nonverbal and has very limited understanding of spoken language or nonverbal cues. She has sensory and feeding issues, isn't potty trained, and hasn't picked up on sign language or PECs yet.
She is in special ed Pre-K where she gets ST twice a week. She also has private ST, OT and now PT twice a week. She goes to a sensory gym once or twice a month on the weekends and I work with her at home on the IPad a few days a week. She's also still going through a lot of medical testing as well. She is making slow progress but nothing significant yet.
She seems so unhappy and hardly smiles anymore. I know early intervention is so important and with the late diagnosis, she's already missed out on so much help that she could've gotten. Do you think that this is too much for her?
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe try giving her a little break and when she plays on the iPad let her play games she likes by herself and see if that helps. She may feel too pressed to succeed and need a break.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NiyasMom1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I usually let her pick her own apps after she's worked on an app that I have chosen for a little while, but it might be better to just let her use the iPad as leisure for now. Thanks so much.

Quoting Jenn8604:

Maybe try giving her a little break and when she plays on the iPad let her play games she likes by herself and see if that helps. She may feel too pressed to succeed and need a break.

Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:34 PM
You're welcome.

Quoting NiyasMom1:

I usually let her pick her own apps after she's worked on an app that I have chosen for a little while, but it might be better to just let her use the iPad as leisure for now. Thanks so much.

Quoting Jenn8604:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I think you know her best... If you think shed benefit from a break.. Then by all means! :)
NiyasMom1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:19 PM
Thanks.

Quoting SamMom912:

I think you know her best... If you think shed benefit from a break.. Then by all means! :)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree here.  My son was diagnosed at 18 months old and we jumped right into ALL the therapies...ABA, OT, Speech, Feeding, and PT.  Then the next year, he started Special ED preschool.  It was a lot for him and I had to cut back to only 2-3 days/week for his school.  We worked our way back up for the following year.  Hugs mama!

Quoting SamMom912:

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this

These ladies have some great advise.  Good Luck! 

NiyasMom1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Great suggestion. I actually have been thinking about cutting back her days at school just because I think she will do better with the therapy and with me teaching her at home some days. Thanks!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I agree here.  My son was diagnosed at 18 months old and we jumped right into ALL the therapies...ABA, OT, Speech, Feeding, and PT.  Then the next year, he started Special ED preschool.  It was a lot for him and I had to cut back to only 2-3 days/week for his school.  We worked our way back up for the following year.  Hugs mama!

Quoting SamMom912:

NiyasMom1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Thank you. I definitely need the luck :-)

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

These ladies have some great advise.  Good Luck! 

mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this
You sound like such a great mom. Your dd is lucky to have you. I say, follow your instincts. You know her best.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)