Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

School

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:23 PM
  • 9 Replies

My son started preschool about a month ago. His behaviors at and at home are getting worse. He won't do his activities at home at or at school, not that he can't do them, he just fights you. He has been getting aggressive too. He has had a cold and ear infection for the past 2-3 weeks. He is finishing up an antibiotic and we just found out that he bacteria in his gut. I am hoping that is what causing his behaviors. At first, I thought it was because he started going to school all day.  It now, I think it is because he has been sick. Has anyone else had this problem before and does it get better? I am just getting frustrated. We are hoping to also start aba therapy within the next month, just waiting for insurance to approve it. 

I know there are ups and downs but it seem like we were going in the right direction, but now it seems like we are going backwards. 

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
NiyasMom1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:45 PM
When my daughter first started pre-k she had a really hard time. I pulled her out for awhile and just focused on working with her at home and with her private therapies. I sent her back a few months later and it's been much better this time around. It's definitely ups and downs but I think that him being sick maybe the biggest problem. Good luck momma and hope your little guy feels better.
wildchild.com
by Janine on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:59 PM
When my son is sick he gets very agressive & violent. Once he's feeling better his behavior always improves.
Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I agree with both the ladies.. My son always regresses some at home at the start of a new school year and being sick also can cause him to regress. Hopefully this is short lived. Hugs!

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I could see the newness of adding the school into routine could take adjustment and that illness could throw your child for a loop.  Anything out of the norm is just hard for our kiddos regardless.  Hope things turn around soon!

mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:21 PM
My 3 yr old just started school too and he's become more aggressive and lately started having potty accidents where he never was before. He's even been wetting the bed! I don't know if it's school or what. He too was also sick. I think I'll just keep plugging along and see where it goes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:31 AM

I agree with these ladies.  I also think that you should give him a break until he's feeling better.  Maybe let him stay home from school a few days until he's feeing better.  Good luck!

Ajisai43
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like your little guy is just overwhelmed.  It is hard enough to get through the days sometimes, but add on to that illness and meds messing with your body, and well, yikes, nobody would be handling things as they usually do.  Maybe a few days at home with mommy and letting him just relax and heal will do the trick.  Best of luck, and I hope he feels better soon.  :)

emarin77
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Yes.  My son's behavier worsened too when sick in preschool.  Calming music at home helped my son to calm down. 

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I agree with so much if the above. Think of him like a battery... Being sick is a drain in itself.. Add in the demands of school.. Having to DO, and DO.. And youre kinda tired and run down to start... And here you are saying.."i just CANT do it!" (Not I womt do it.. BIG difference) cause it seems like too much. 

Id def give him some down relaxing time, ask a little less of him, give him a chance to replenish and then build up his schedule slowly.

best of luck. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)