Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

It's getting cold and he won't wear pants!

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Jen
  • 30 Replies
My 3 yr old, who may or may not be ASD, has a new behavior. Or maybe preference is a better word??

Anyway, I never noticed this until recently but he only wants to wear the same shorts he recognizes as his own. Nothing else. It's not a sensory issue, it's just that he wants to wear the clothes that he associates with being his, clothes that are familiar to him.

Since he started school, I have sent some shorts to school for him to use in case he has an accident. And I picked some of the shorts he doesn't typically wear. The teacher told me he was very upset to wear them. As soon as we were home he took them off and changed.

Another day, we were running late and I grabbed him a pair of shorts he doesn't usually wear (because I was too lazy to pull his regulars from the clean laundry pile) and he freaked out till I went and got HIS shorts.

Today, it was cold so I pulled out a pair of his sweatpants from last winter. He wouldn't wear them! He kept crying for his red shorts. I was able to get him to wear his khaki church pants but he can't wear those every day!

Has anyone else had a child who struggled with transitioning into a different season wardrobe? What did you do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:44 PM

My son has an issue transitioning from long pants and long sleeves to shorts and short sleeves... But it ismost definetely   sensory... He has very poor body awareness and the long sleeves/pants help him feel where his legs and arms are. We transition with long sleeves that are summer weight.. And waterproof..he also likes the helly hansen/under armour tight clothes... 

mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Where do you buy the under armor? And what's the helly Hanson?

Quoting SamMom912:

My son has an issue transitioning from long pants and long sleeves to shorts and short sleeves... But it ismost definetely   sensory... He has very poor body awareness and the long sleeves/pants help him feel where his legs and arms are. We transition with long sleeves that are summer weight.. And waterproof..he also likes the helly hansen/under armour tight clothes... 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM
We live in Hawaii, so we wear shorts and dresses year round. My 6 year old asd dd will only wear dresses. She freaks out if I suggest pants or shorts. We are going to the Midwest for Christmas. I am not looking forward to dealing with battles over pants and other warm clothes there.
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Dear lord I am incredibly jealous of your location. ;) 

Quoting 03071012:

We live in Hawaii, so we wear shorts and dresses year round. My 6 year old asd dd will only wear dresses. She freaks out if I suggest pants or shorts. We are going to the Midwest for Christmas. I am not looking forward to dealing with battles over pants and other warm clothes there.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Internet, REI, there is a HH outlet near us so sometimes Im lucky to find a few peices there. A friend buys russell brand at Dicks sporting goods.. Similar, but my son didnt like it. It was a bit different... And you know how different can be... ;) 

Quoting mypbandj:

Where do you buy the under armor? And what's the helly Hanson?

Quoting SamMom912:

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Oh yes, takes us a bit to adjust to both hot clothes and cold clothes, and away from our favorites.  Same reason he wears the same colored blue polo and grey pants/shorts each day to school.  I have 4 of each and we just keep washing and rotating!  Good luck!  Hugs! 

momofblueeyes04
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:19 PM
My daughter is the same way however ahe is a little older so its easier to explain to her that its cold out and she needs to wear pants. She refuses to wear jeans and only will wear certain sweats and a certain pair of stretch pants. Maybe take him to the store and let him pick out a pair of pants like the sports kind they have diff colors so maybe he could pick out his favorite color

Quoting mypbandj:

My 3 yr old, who may or may not be ASD, has a new behavior. Or maybe preference is a better word??

Anyway, I never noticed this until recently but he only wants to wear the same shorts he recognizes as his own. Nothing else. It's not a sensory issue, it's just that he wants to wear the clothes that he associates with being his, clothes that are familiar to him.

Since he started school, I have sent some shorts to school for him to use in case he has an accident. And I picked some of the shorts he doesn't typically wear. The teacher told me he was very upset to wear them. As soon as we were home he took them off and changed.

Another day, we were running late and I grabbed him a pair of shorts he doesn't usually wear (because I was too lazy to pull his regulars from the clean laundry pile) and he freaked out till I went and got HIS shorts.

Today, it was cold so I pulled out a pair of his sweatpants from last winter. He wouldn't wear them! He kept crying for his red shorts. I was able to get him to wear his khaki church pants but he can't wear those every day!

Has anyone else had a child who struggled with transitioning into a different season wardrobe? What did you do?

megs2boys
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I would probably let him wear the red shorts over a pair of pants for a while until he gets used to the transition. What if you took him shopping and let him pick out some pants that are HIS pants?

lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 8:55 PM
My four year old non ASD child will only wear pink. She will only use her pink cup, pink plate, and pink bowl.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 16, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Oh no!  Brady could care in the least what he wears to be honest...hugs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)