Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

MRI for cognitive delay?

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 6:17 PM
  • 6 Replies

My dd had her first follow-up appointment with her dev pedi. Her initial appointment ECI never sent her eval and I was too stressed to even think to bring all the paperwork.  Well, she got it this time and because my dd was delayed in the cognitive portion she wants to do an mri. I know mri's are fairly commonly ordered for asd kids. Just wanted to know if any body else had had an mri for their child for this reason and if so, what was the outcome?

by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 6:51 PM

My ASD son, no.  My daughter with down syndrome had one when she had a seizure, but never regarding her cognitive impairment.  Also all 3 of the littles had them in the NICU at birth when checking for brain hemorrhages at birth.  I think they each had 2-3 then.  Not sure what they can tell with an MRI about ASD, but now I am curious!  Hope it goes well! 

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Oct. 15, 2013 at 8:47 PM
bump
Koltie6
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Yes we did. I did not want to put him under but he was having seizures so i consented. It showed nothing. Most children with autism have a normal MRI
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:16 PM

The dr said she's like 80% sure my dd's will come back normal but she just wants no stone unturned I guess and I'm ok with it because we're waiting until after her hearing appointment and if she refuses to cooperate they're going to want to do the sedated hearing test, so they'll do them both at the same time so she'll only have to be under once.  

Quoting Koltie6:

Yes we did. I did not want to put him under but he was having seizures so i consented. It showed nothing. Most children with autism have a normal MRI

NiyasMom1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:32 AM
I was asking a similar question a week ago. My DD had her EEG and MRI on Friday. She got it done for seizures also. I get the results tomorrow. Hope all goes well!
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:50 AM

EEGs are typically to see if the brain is having seizure activity and MRIs can show multiple things.  

My son has had 3 MRIs as he was born with severe brain damage which in turn most likely caused his Autism.  He has seizure activity in the frontal lobe of his brain which causes his Gelastric Epilepsy so he's had multiple EEGs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN