Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

How do I survive the dentist ????

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:12 PM
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this
Hi mommies Im dreading the dental office visit and my ds has 2 cavities but wont let the doc fill them in.Im going into a new doc which gives them a laughing gas but I'm unsure how he will do ...What can I do to calm myself and calm him
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
patnic
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:17 PM
3 moms liked this

The laughing gas will help.  Show youtube videos going to the dentist - I think Sesame Street has some.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

No suggestions.  The dentist is a tough one for us.  Hugs Mama.  I would clear the rest of your day though so you can both re-coop and get over the stress.  good luck! 

Mommy980106
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I have always hated the dentist! My best advice is to look for a dentist who has lots of experience treating kids on the spectrum. My son is 12 & we've gone through 8 dentists before finding the wonderful doctor we have now. We are now seeing a pediatric dentist an hour away who specializes in special needs kids. At our first appointment, we just talked about expectations while the dentist observed my son. The plan we came up with is for my son to always be seen in the surgery suite to avoid meltdowns & pre-medicate with valium.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I am taking my 3 year old on Thursday just for a cleaning. 6 months ago, it was really traumatic for everyone, including the people in the waiting room she was screaming so bad. Her therapist have been practicing and working with her. Hopefully she does ok. I am bringing her therapist with me.
JamesMom714
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this
We went once when DS was one... They peeked in while he screamed... He's now 3, we tried once since and he didn't even get to the chair. I honestly think we will have to do sedation dentistry with him... (He flips out in doctors offices too).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maxsmommy123
by Jamie on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this
My guy is far worse with the doctor. But he doesn't like the dentist either. Filling must be scary for both of you. Good luck :(
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 16, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Hugs mama!  I'm taking my son to the dentist this morning for his 6 month cleaning:(

NDNQT
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 7:27 AM
Hugs to you!! We went through this a few months ago. But after talking with ds who is 6. Explaining the procedure and the laughing gas (we called it a piggy nose). He went in without us with the assistant ( I was scared but tried not to show it). And bam no problems!!! He was fully prepped and knew exactly what to expect so it calmed his anxiety. He was also allowed to take his stuffed bear in with him.
Koltie6
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Be sure you and your dentist are aware of the risk of nitrous oxide to children with ASD.
angeliabell
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Hi Jessica!  I haven't taken my DS to the dentist yet.  He's 4 and I know I should've already taken him way earlier but I've just dreaded it SO much!  We live in a small town and the few dentists we have here are not that experienced in dealing with non-verbal autistic children so even though Medicaid keeps pressuring me to take DS for a checkup, I am holding off until his therapist gives me a recommendation of someone she trusts and knows well.  So I can totally understand your anxieties!  My son hates the doctor's office, I can see that the dentist's office is going to be right up there at the same level.  :-(. I wish you lots of luck with your DS though!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)