Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Dentist this afternoon

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 1:12 PM
  • 5 Replies

I am taking my 3 year old dd to the dentist this afternoon. 6 months ago when we went it was traumatizing to everyone. She flipped out worse than I gave ever seen before with her. The brave dentist shoved his hand into her mouth to peek. I wanted to say that if she bit him, it wasn't my fault. 

We have been practicing for two weeks, and I am taking her aba therapist with me (I had considered taking both, but thought it would be too much for my dd). If we aren't successful, her developmental pediatrician said he'd get with the pediatric dentist at our hospital to see about doing a once a year sedated exam on her. All her thorough eye exams have to be sedated too (she has some alignment issues with her eyes). 

I wish that that this was easier for her. I hate seeing her so scared and upset and unable to understand. My dd is high functioning, and verbal, but I honestly believe that she is given too much credit in her abilities and understanding. She has been drilled to preform, and so she does, but left to her own natural self, it is a totally different kid. I hope that makes sense. 

by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 17, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Hugs and hope things went well!  I took my son to the dentist yesterday.

SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I hope things work out! I had to prep Aidan for a month about going to the dentist. Thankfully, he has not had to have sedation. He's gone 3 times plus had a minor procedure done on his molars. The dentist we go to is great. He's really patient and speaks softly and gently to Aidan. 

by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 10:43 PM
4 moms liked this
It went really well. She initially freaked out. Wouldn't walk into the room. Her aba therapist gently guided her in. Then she wouldn't go near the chair. The therapist picked her up and carried her around the room then just sat down with her. Then was able to talk to her just enough to keep her calm and let the hygienist clean her teeth. She flipped out again when the dentist came in, but the therapist was able to calm her again and get her to let the dentist to look into her mouth. The hygienist and the dentist were awesome. They moved slowly and let the therapist do her thing to keep R calm. It went far better than any of us expected.
Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 17, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Hope it went well. Ashton has had some visits that went great and some that were very tough but the more he dpgets used to it the better he does. 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 17, 2013 at 10:45 PM

That's great that her therapist went with her. My hubby has to be wth my ds because he is best at keeping him calm 

Quoting 03071012:

It went really well. She initially freaked out. Wouldn't walk into the room. Her aba therapist gently guided her in. Then she wouldn't go near the chair. The therapist picked her up and carried her around the room then just sat down with her. Then was able to talk to her just enough to keep her calm and let the hygienist clean her teeth. She flipped out again when the dentist came in, but the therapist was able to calm her again and get her to let the dentist to look into her mouth. The hygienist and the dentist were awesome. They moved slowly and let the therapist do her thing to keep R calm. It went far better than any of us expected.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN