Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Do YOU have sensory issues?

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Jen
  • 34 Replies
Or does your spouse/partner? What are they and how do you cope?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:52 AM

I have auditory issues. I completely avoid overly-loud places like movie theaters and concerts, and we mow the lawn with a motorless reel mower (and my husband uses the weedeater while I hide inside). I made the mistake of going with my dh to Six Flags during fright fest this year. I'd never been before and I didn't know music and random sounds would be blaring out of speakers all over the place. When faced with loud noises I can't get away from, I simply breath slowly and kinda go into my mind a little bit. I can't pay attention to everything that's going on around me but I can pay attention to enough to get me through (but I didn't enjoy being at Six Flags because of it). I let the people I'm with know that I'm not going to be able to last a long time because of my discomfort and I leave when I can no longer tolerate it. I usually have a pounding headache for a few hours afterwards.

by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:58 AM

I do. I have a lot. I am sensitive to sound. Loud sudden noises, loud chewing, crunchy chewing (chips of any kind are the worst.). I don't like touching certain things, sticky, slimy, and dirty are the biggest for me (I go through a bottle of soap every week because I cook mostly from scratch and have to wash my hands often.) I don't like being touched. Especially by strangers. I hate it at church when people I barely know hug me. I have learned to tolerate closerf riends hugging me, but I have to resist the urge to wipe it off. I don't like certain fabrics. I don't like my clothes too tight, or too loose (finding clothes is almost impossible). I have a lot more, but those are the big ones.

To cope...I just deal with it. I cover my ears a lot to loud noise, I try really hard to focus on my plate while I am eating with my family to block out chewing/crunching. I have been caught by my husband lining food across my plate while trying to block out chewing. I wash my hands a lot. For people hugging me, I am stiff and barely hug back. For my close friends, I make myself tolerate it and try really hard to be relaxed. My husband has learned to wait for me to go to him to be hugged. I don't mind cuddling my kids. (Is that weird?) for clothes, I just try to find something comfortable, deal with it all day and as early as possible out on sweats, or yoga pants. 

kajira
by Emma on Oct. 18, 2013 at 3:01 AM

I have huge sensory issues.. smell, sounds, textures, taste... but smell and sound are my two biggest ones.

I don't like really loud places, the loudest place we usually go is mcdonalds, and the buzzing from the lights and the loud shrieking from the kids give me a migraine. I survive, but it takes me a while to recover afterwards.

I don't like high pitched noises, dripping sounds, screaming really loud, etc especially in an enclosed area... theme parks and disney land for example were a little different, it's more open and spaced out, so it was a little less "loud" if that makes sense... when you're 10 feet from a shrieking 5 year old who's screaming at the top of play set 10 feet from where you are sitting and it echo's off the walls.... that's a bit much for me.

I can't handle a lot of little sounds, clanking of forks against teeth, weird crunching sounds, and I guess if I really think about it, i'm sensitive to what i'll touch. bubbles and play doh are both "icky" to me... I can't handle slimey stuff, and while I can sort of wrap my mind around touching raw meat when I cook, or even crack eggs, I wash my hands with soap between every tiny step, even if I touch the meat 10 times doing different things. I just can't help it. I gotta wash my hands if I touch something out of the ordinary. I'm also prone to washing my hands a lot after touching my animals because their fur (even if bathed on a regular basis) has a greasy feeling to me... or where we live now, dust. LOL They get dusty and I feel it on my hands.

I try to balance my sensory needs with daily living.... I try to make sure if I go to a sensory stimulating place, that when I get home, I get enough down time to recover, I back off before I overload to the best of my ability, as an adult, I can ask to leave... or choose to leave. 

Sensory overload causes huge migraine problems and induces seizure-like behavior in me... I'll act like i'm having a stroke or absence style siezures when my brain's misfiring from all the overstimulation, I'll start talking and slurring my speech and my body will make random jerks and shakes and I'll flit my hands around and flap and do really blinking motions or staring off into space while my brain tries to process and keep up.

The key for me is to get home BEFORE I hit the over-stimulation point... though sometimes I do too much around the house too and have to take a break.... ^.^

Generally, a quiet, calm place is good. I can sometimes handle a shower in the dark as a good way to desensitize myself... although sometimes the spray of the shower bugs me occasionally too, depending on which sense was "over stimulated".

I can sometimes use one of my other senses to distract my brain while it resets - and sometimes I can't.

I'm complicated. LOL

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 3:51 AM

Im not a fan of crowds and tons of noise. I do like movies but never enjoyed concerts... (Have been to 10 or so, more out of peer pressure then true enjoyment). I did work in construction architecture/engineering for 2 summers while going to college and it was crazy loud... (Everyone had to wear headphones and hard hats).. I went back the second summer, so I guess Im not too effected. I did get a lot of positive feedback with that job as the only girl.. 5'1, 100lbs.. All guys that I worked with.. LOL.. That MAY have influenced the second year.. HA

I have some tactile defensiveness not liking certain fabrics and tags are usually removed from my clothes. 

I too hate forks on teeth and soup slurrpers! Uuugh, those noises go thru me like nails on a chalkboard. 

I think i have some visual issues as well. When reading I will take a peice of paper to block out the rest of the page, and only concentrait on the sentence I am reading. Especially in a text book. I couldnt have gotten my masters had I not learned that trick for myself early on. even in testing, I need to block out the upcoming questions to focus on the question at hand as I find the page just visually overwhelming.  

Oh, and I was a CRAZY picky eater utnil I turned 10-11.... Now I eat everything... (Sushi, octopus, etc) 

Aside from that... Lol.. I guess Ive been desenstized to a lot. 

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I don't like to be touched all the time. I find it uncomfortable. It has been like this my whole life. Honestly I think my children have helped in this area. They both love to snuggle and unless I want to see heartless I have learned to accept the snuggling.  This was even hard with my husband. He loves to hold hands on just have a hand on my leg. This drove me crazy. I felt trapped and wanted nothing more than for him to let go. I handle it better now. I do still have the moments where I tell him no and he is okay with it.

There are certain sounds that drive me crazy to the point I can't be in the area. I mean these sounds just make me want to curl up into a ball and protect myself. one of those is a high pitch whine that my dd does. When she does it I feel my blood pressure just rise. Then before I know it I am blowing and yelling for her to stop.

LicParaMommy
by Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I can't stand things blowing on me!

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Me, no.

NiyasMom1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 11:26 AM
I don't like being touched, certain smells drive me crazy, and I avoid touching certain things.
puertoricangeek
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM

OMG, I know I actually worked at fright fest at Six Flags some ears ago. Good thing I was Sible(sp), LOL, I spent a lot of the time sitting with my eye closed or finding someone to talk to. That was a test. I amglad I did it though. I guess it helped with some coping skills. I'm still scared of the dark though. LOL

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

I have auditory issues. I completely avoid overly-loud places like movie theaters and concerts, and we mow the lawn with a motorless reel mower (and my husband uses the weedeater while I hide inside). I made the mistake of going with my dh to Six Flags during fright fest this year. I'd never been before and I didn't know music and random sounds would be blaring out of speakers all over the place. When faced with loud noises I can't get away from, I simply breath slowly and kinda go into my mind a little bit. I can't pay attention to everything that's going on around me but I can pay attention to enough to get me through (but I didn't enjoy being at Six Flags because of it). I let the people I'm with know that I'm not going to be able to last a long time because of my discomfort and I leave when I can no longer tolerate it. I usually have a pounding headache for a few hours afterwards.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 18, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Neither of us do but my dad says he does and relates to Ashton's sensory issues.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN