Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What have you learned about yourself?

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 7:46 AM
  • 47 Replies
7 moms liked this

Trying to inspire a little self love here :) Let's all list the things we have overcome or learned in the process of caring for our children.

I'll go first-

I am so much more humble.

I have learned that patience is a finite thing.

If I don't take care of myself I crash and burn.

I am stronger than I thought about some things, need help with others.

I need people who understand me (you guys!)

I want more than anything else to be a good mom.

A mother's love is indestructible, it can bend but it doesn't break.

Things can't be perfect and it is ok if your house is messy but your child is happy. 

You can't do everything every day and it is not a sign of weakness to ask for help...it is a sign of strength. XO

by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 7:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jodee24
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:41 AM
3 moms liked this
My 22 month daughter has taught me patience, made me one tough ass fighter, and how strong I am. She is a huge blessing! She said ma ma for the first time yesterday!!!! I lost it never thought I would hear it!! ๐Ÿ˜‚
puertoricangeek
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I am stronger and more dedicated than I ever thought. 

lucasmadre
by Kari on Oct. 19, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Oh, ma-ma! There is no finer word. Congratulations.

Quoting Jodee24:

My 22 month daughter has taught me patience, made me one tough ass fighter, and how strong I am. She is a huge blessing! She said ma ma for the first time yesterday!!!! I lost it never thought I would hear it!! ๐Ÿ˜‚

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:42 PM
3 moms liked this

I can honestly handle more than I ever thought I would...with the help of the Lord I can do anything.

bethkeagan
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:09 PM
well said!
bethkeagan
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:13 PM
I have learned more from my son than I have my entire life! my kids are my everything and they teach me so much:-) they are my strength:-)
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:47 PM
2 moms liked this

I learned how to handle my wine... Lol.. 

No, really, Ive learned that a sence of humor and the ability to laugh instead of crying is a wonderful thing. 

Ive learned to take deep breaths, to not "lose imy temper".. But to remain calm in the face of adversity. 

I too have learned that there are many wonderful moms who will listen, advise, and give virtual hugs when I need them. 

Jodee24
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this
O and my hubby and I recently learned who our "true friends" are. With my daughters diagnosis we lost a lot (but I guess they weren't true friends then anyway)
Basherte
by Silver Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:14 AM
Something else for you: You have learned that it's okay to ask for help, and when to know that you need it. :-) I have learned that not everything is as it seems on the surface. That a messy house does not mean a dirty house, and as long as my son is happy, and healthy, I don't care. That I do need help at times, and it's okay to ask for it. Not only is it okay to ask for it, but it is a necessity. How else can I expect my son to ask for help when he needs it if I don't? I have learned patience. I have learned that just because a project or plan doesn't go according to ...well plan.. that it doesn't make it any less fun. That getting messy with flour and water is fun. That decorating cookies is a mind blowingly fun experience that everyone should have. That a pizza from scratch doesn't have to look great (or perfect) in order to taste amazing. That allowing my son to decorate the pizza is a wonderful thing. I've recently learned that dogs that are not my son's can be fun in short doses, and that a golden retriever with that much energy shouldn't be possible. Nor did I realize that a golden retriever had that much love, that it would encompass not only their family, but my son as well, whom these dogs have never met before. (that's a whole other story and a wonderful one, though it took place within a few minutes) That my son is a lot stronger than even I gave him credit for. Having my mother in law in my life is a wonderful thing, and I hope she never dies. I should add that I've learned most if not all of this in the past year or so.
CafeMom Tickers
lucasmadre
by Kari on Oct. 20, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Hard lessons to learn and I am still working on the messy house thing but you are so right. It is all about priorities and joy...life should be filled with joy. Yes...asking for help, a big one for me but I am better that I was. Sounds like you are doing really well...xo

Quoting Basherte:

Something else for you: You have learned that it's okay to ask for help, and when to know that you need it. :-) I have learned that not everything is as it seems on the surface. That a messy house does not mean a dirty house, and as long as my son is happy, and healthy, I don't care. That I do need help at times, and it's okay to ask for it. Not only is it okay to ask for it, but it is a necessity. How else can I expect my son to ask for help when he needs it if I don't? I have learned patience. I have learned that just because a project or plan doesn't go according to ...well plan.. that it doesn't make it any less fun. That getting messy with flour and water is fun. That decorating cookies is a mind blowingly fun experience that everyone should have. That a pizza from scratch doesn't have to look great (or perfect) in order to taste amazing. That allowing my son to decorate the pizza is a wonderful thing. I've recently learned that dogs that are not my son's can be fun in short doses, and that a golden retriever with that much energy shouldn't be possible. Nor did I realize that a golden retriever had that much love, that it would encompass not only their family, but my son as well, whom these dogs have never met before. (that's a whole other story and a wonderful one, though it took place within a few minutes) That my son is a lot stronger than even I gave him credit for. Having my mother in law in my life is a wonderful thing, and I hope she never dies. I should add that I've learned most if not all of this in the past year or so.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)