Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trick or treat with your nonverbal child

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:55 AM
  • 19 Replies
My son is 3 and nonverbal. The past 2 years we have gone he has gotten away with not saying anything because he was still young. Well I think this year people will expect him to say trick or treat or at least thank you. I try to take his hand and sign thank you so that they get the hint he doesn't talk. I guess I don't want them thinking he is just a brat.

What do you ladies do with your nonverbal children. I live in an apartment so we can't hand out candy, but still want to take him out.
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Aww.... I think signing with him is a great idea! My daughter is 2 1/2 non-verbal and I think that's what I'll do. We're not going to do traditional door to door trick or treating though. We're going to our square downtown ... they always have fun things like bounce houses and vendors and the local businesses give out candy. I figured that would be an easier place for her to not be out of place ya know? Especially since she'll probably just be wearing a halloween shirt and regular pants because she can't stand any type of itchy fabrics.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Signing is a great idea!  Or he could hold up a sign that says "Trick or Treat!"  

My 5 year old is nonverbal but he doesn't eat any solid food so we don't take him out that night.  

Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I think holding up a sign would be adorable

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Signing is a great idea!  Or he could hold up a sign that says "Trick or Treat!"  

My 5 year old is nonverbal but he doesn't eat any solid food so we don't take him out that night.  

Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:07 PM
2 moms liked this

I like this idea.  Give him a "trick or treat" sign that when you turn it around says "thank you."  They should get the hint.

My nonverbal also can not eat candy so she just strolls along with the others but does not go up to the houses.  She doesn't understand Halloween yet anyway.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

maciymommieof3
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I would go around to the pepole you know.

mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 20, 2013 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I think the idea of a sign is cute and of course signing is a good idea. But I'm also tempted to say that when you get to that one person who demands they talk (you know there will at least one) just flatly say: he can't talk. He has autism.

The reason I say that is because there are people out there that have NO clue. And they need to be told. Be made aware. These kids are not brats. And just assuming every kid who comes by without talking is a brat is wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aakeiser
by Silver Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:02 AM
When I took my son out when he was younger and hardly talked we had a few say something. We politely told them he had autism and doesn't really talk. Most figured out he didn't say much. My problem the otther year we went trick or treating with some friends and their child went into a friends house and my son thought he was post to go into people's houses. Now he does alright when we taking him out.You will be surprised that most are understanding.
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Dress him as a mime? Lol

no, seriously, i LOVE the sign... trick or treat on one side... Flip around... Thank you! Maybe even "thank you for understanding, Im non verbal..." I dont think that last part is necessary.. But, if your looking for "more explaination" for the masses, then it might be good... 

Or even on the trick or treat-- have a picture of the sign... And thank you sign as well. So they know youre working on alternate means of communication.. Again, NOT necessary- but enlightening... 

robmommom
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:03 PM
You are absolutely correct, I tell people he has autism like that they stop staring, when they see me signing to my GS,

Quoting mypbandj:

I think the idea of a sign is cute and of course signing is a good idea. But I'm also tempted to say that when you get to that one person who demands they talk (you know there will at least one) just flatly say: he can't talk. He has autism.

The reason I say that is because there are people out there that have NO clue. And they need to be told. Be made aware. These kids are not brats. And just assuming every kid who comes by without talking is a brat is wrong.

robmommom
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Have fun
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)