Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Before you were a mom....

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Jen
  • 35 Replies
Before you were a mom, did you ever consider that you might have a child with special needs?

I mean, were families that had SN kids just something that happened to other people, not you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HippoCat
by Hadley on Oct. 20, 2013 at 2:12 AM

No, I never considered it and yes, it only happened to other people. Crazy thinking huh? Although, when my OBGYN asked if we wanted to run tests for disabilities we said no that no matter how the child was we would bring it into the world, want it and love it all the same. I can't imagine it any other way now. My little boy is such a true little being that makes my world spin. I am so thankful for him! It took us a long time to get pregnant and he is a miracle in our eyes. 

trippyhippy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Never guessed this would be my life. 

Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Oct. 20, 2013 at 2:35 AM
I tend to have these premonitions. I know things before they happen. I knew when in labor my water was going to break and there would be meconium (sp) in it and I would end up with a c section. Didn't think much of it really til after it happened. I read an article about autism while pregnant and had a thought in the back of my mind that my baby would have autism.
He developed just fine until 2 and wasn't showing signs of autism. He regressed and started showing signs of autism.
3 days after he turned 2.5 he was dx severely autistic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:14 AM
Not at all. But it took me almost 9 yrs with a couple miscarriages to get pregnant with Nicolas. I also denied to get any of the testing. I didn't want to know through my pregnant. We would face anything god gave us! I actually just forgot about that till now. :)
N.Carter2001
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I never think i would fall in love and have kids. When i was pregnant we knew our baby may not walk  like his dad. I did not really know much about autism.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Oct. 20, 2013 at 9:03 AM

No I didn't. I would have never thought about it. I always assumed my kiddos would have been normal per se. I wanted nothing more than to have 2 perfectly normal kids. I did think special needs wasn't something that happened to my family. I looked at my sisters children and yes they might have had a few issues but none were autistic. I had so many emotions running through me when I received the dx. I remember one of them being jealousy. my sister has 6 kids and another sister 2. I didn't understand why my child and not one of theirs. I hate that I thought it but I did. I have accepted my son is my son no matter that he has a special need. I love him for who he is and that is all that matters now

lucasmadre
by Kari on Oct. 20, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I was so happy when I was pregnant that it never occured to me that anything would go wrong. I knew my baby would be fine. I still think of him as fine even though he struggles. There are a lot of artists and people who have chosen alternative life styles in my family so being different isn't such a big deal. I just want my boy to find joy and love in his life and I think he is capable of both of those things and much more. I really try not to think of him as a special needs kid...just special.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I never thought about special ed kids... Never thought about them at all... Honestly, I just thought about all the things I wanted to DO with my kids... Where I would take them (Disney, beach, mountains, sporting events, skiing) all the things I would do with them (catches, baseball, soccer) The movies, books, experiences we would share... I never thought it wasnt a possibility.. So I was a bit blindsided. 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Definitely didn't expect SNs in my kiddos.  I didn't really know much at all about them, just incorrect stereotypes in my mind.  None of it runs in our family and my kid's issues are not genetic in them, so complete surprise.  Oh well, they were meant for me and give me joy every day. 

qcmomof3
by Mariah on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:26 AM
I never expected to have a sn child. My first pregnancy went so smooth and had a healthy baby girl. She is almost 10 now and is always been one that rarely gets sick to this day. My second pregnancy (6 1/2 yrs later) we did do the testing and came back high for spina befida but during the ultrasound found no problems but found out it was high due to having two babies-surprise! I was both shocked and relieved at the same time. The pregnancy went well and delivered two healthy baby boys at 38 weeks, weighing 7#9oz and 6#15oz. At 2 1/2 yrs I became very concerned that my second baby wasn't talking as much as his brother so that is when we started ei. Around his 3rd bday signs of autism had shown and that's when I knew. We are still waiting for diagnosis. It's still so new to me..just trying to take it one day at a time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)