Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Is your child musically inclined?

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Amy
  • 30 Replies

Mine isn't, but I'm curious.... is yours?

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenifr
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:03 PM
He is now. He hums on his own quite often. He used to freak out before he was 2.5 whenever he hears people sing but he was ok with the TV singing.
kajira
by Emma on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:14 PM

We both like to sing and I played piano - I liked the repetition of piano, but I'm not musically inclined, or gifted in any way.

My son has a good memory, so once he learns something he doesn't forget it, but learning it doesn't come naturally or easily to him... and you better make sure he doesn't learn it the "Wrong" way or he won't be able to fix it.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Nope... Not at all. He thinks he can sing and dance, but, ummmm, not so much. Lol... As long as he is having fun, thats great.. But he is tone deaf and when he dances he looks like a dry heave set to music... ;) 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 21, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Nope!

wildchild.com
by Janine on Oct. 21, 2013 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this
My son loves to sing...one day we walked into Market Basket & he starts singing "When I saw her face" I'm talking belting it out! Lol every cashier,bagger & customer turned around & to see my son singing lol it was a riot!
HippoCat
by Hadley on Oct. 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM
I think he might be but I can't say for sure. Music is very calming to him especially if it has rhythmic drumming or guitar. I think he "gets" what you are supposed to do with instruments. Sometimes he goes into his room and plays his guitar and sings. He also walks around banging a tambourine sometimes and has a perfect beat. It's simple, but perfect and it makes him really happy.

I'm trying to figure out a way to encourage his musical ability without forcing it. It certainly does not come from his father or I so I try to just play a lot of music in the house. We seem to be listening to a lot of classical music right now and he has been a lot happier and calmer.
Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:48 PM

My son doesn't like music. The only class at school he hates is music class.. If he has musical ability I don't know :/

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I'm not sure yet about Nicolas. I used to think so because he loved any type of musical instrument. He still does but isn't showing as much interest as he used to. Music is one of the things that calms him. He has to have it playing when he is trying to go to sleep. I think it helps him to clear his mind.

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Not at all...in 4th grade he had a recorder for music class.  He could not read music at all.  Learned to make the notes numbers instead of letters.  Was easier for him after that.  He loves listening to music, singing in church and is a guitar hero king but can't read or play music on real instruments.  

amonkeymom
by Amy on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:58 PM

My son is the same way about learning something the wrong way.  

Quoting kajira:

We both like to sing and I played piano - I liked the repetition of piano, but I'm not musically inclined, or gifted in any way.

My son has a good memory, so once he learns something he doesn't forget it, but learning it doesn't come naturally or easily to him... and you better make sure he doesn't learn it the "Wrong" way or he won't be able to fix it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN