Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Received my sons diagnosis today and I'm confused. Help?!

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:40 PM
  • 11 Replies

The following is what his diagnosis states and I cannot figure out what it means. I was emailed his paperwork before our actual sit down meeting because my sons school scheduled his IEP meeting for four days before the diagnosis meeting. Help? Please?

Axis I
299.00 Autism Spectrum Disorder, requiring substantial support, with accompanying language impairment.
Axis II
No diagnosis.
Axis III
No diagnosis.
Axis IV
Demands of developmental delay
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this
It's how the DSM works. That's the 'bible' of making diagnosis for anything. Google axis DSM and you'll get lots of hits. Here's one.

http://allpsych.com/disorders/dsm.html
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Welcome to the group!

NiyasMom1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Axis I is his primary diagnosis and Axis IV is the areas that is affected by his primary diagnosis. Since the DSM5 changed, all forms of Autism fall under Autism Spectrum Disorder and depending on the severity, it is assigned a level from 1-3. According to this, he would be considered a level 2. Language impairment is also part of his primary diagnosis. Hope this helps some, and as mypbandj said you can finds lots of stuff on the internet.
meandmyboys124
by Kylynn on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:30 PM
It's all rather confusing since I haven't gotten a chance to sit down with the doctor yet.
wildchild.com
by Janine on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Hello & welcome :-)
Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Welcome to the group. My son was dx 5 years ago before the new DSM5 so I'm not familiar with it yet.

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:57 PM
2 moms liked this

We used to put so much emphasis on the diagnosis (is he or isn't he ASD?)  and looking back we see that wasn't as important as the opportunites for help that diagnosis provided.  Once we shifted our focus from the medical to the "how do we help" we accepted and understood things better.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Welcome to the group! 

emarin77
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:37 AM

It just means he has Autism and needs speech therapy and other supports in the classrom.

puertoricangeek
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 1:55 PM
2 moms liked this

The DSM-IV organizes each psychiatric diagnosis into five dimensions (axes) relating to different aspects of

disorder or disability:

• Axis I: All diagnostic categories except mental retardation and personality disorder

• Axis II: Personality disorders and mental retardation

• Axis III: General medical condition; acute medical conditions and physical disorders

• Axis IV: Psychosocial and environmental factors contributing to the disorder

• Axis V: Global Assessment of Functioning or Children's Global Assessment Scale for children and teens under

the age of 18

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)