Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Losing his IEP

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:59 PM
  • 16 Replies

DS was diagnosed with ASD when he was about a year and half. Since he has been in summer programs additional schooling/therapy and always had an IEP. He is almost 15 now, a freshman in HS. He is down to just a skip class during the day and is not receiving anything else really.

The school's counselor called and stated they have nothing to put on his IEP, and therefore advise getting rid of his IEP. He has been on the honor roll for as long as I can remember now. Socially he is still a knuckle head  (affectionately stated btw) but making improvements.

I think we could still get extended test times but I am nervous about losing it completely. He is doing great, he has even been making funny jokes lately. 

I don't know if I am being over protective and I simply can't be objective, anyone else go through this?

by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I would definitely keep his IEP for extended testing and a back up plan for in case things change. I would definitely be willing to say that it will be as an "as needed" basis, but I wouldn't be entirely willing to get rid of it completely.

When he goes off to college, he can keep his IEP and go through the disability office too, so whatever is helping him survive the last couple years of high school, it would be nice to keep available. It doesn't mean it has to be overly complicated, or invasive, but i wouldn't just "drop" it entirely.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:46 PM
I agree with emma... Who know if the demands increase he may need accomodations otherwise not allowed if there in no iep in place. Id look to keep it open ended--- better to have the security just in case IMO.
bigmama423
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I agree with them ^^.

Latina_Star
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Quoting bigmama423:

I agree with them ^^.

beinghuman
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Yeah.....I agree too. I just have a megaton of mom guilt because as he has grown, I haven't made nearly the progress that he has. I feel like I have held him back......

It's just weird seeing him change so much, We are all going to talk about it and get his input. I think in the long run it just might really come in handy... 

/on the fence

girl_incognito
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 6:15 PM
I'd keep it.
In order for them to truly say he doesn't qualify they'd have to do a full evaluation again.
You could get 504 plan in it's place if you wanted... but you wouldn't have near the protection an IEP can give you.
faire_jour
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I would ask for self advocacy and social skills goals. They don't have to be academic alone.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Oct. 22, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Keep that IEP! You never know what will happen!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beinghuman
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I think we are going to keep it, we could do the 504 but I my gut is telling me not to lose it. Thanks everyone, I mean that sincerely. You all really helped so so much

wildchild.com
by Janine on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:16 PM
I agree keep the IEP!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)