Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Stressed Out

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:15 PM
  • 2 Replies
I had to call our service coordinator again today about my son's services.

He is currently approved for 20 hours of 1:1 ABA, 1 hour of 1:1 speech, and 3 hours of group/social.

We've had issues with his ABA and speech since the very beginning. His old speech therapist discharged him from her service claiming schedule conflict so we just switched to a new speech therapist last week. His ABA agency is a mess right now: one of his primary ABA quit and they don't have any more experienced therapists to work with him. He missed a whole week of ABA last week and several more hours the previous couple week.

He just started the group/social thing last week. I don't want to keep changing things so the service coordinator recommended increasing his group/social to 4 days (6 hours). But I found out later that would require approval from the teacher and the teacher want to get to know my son a bit better first. So now we're looking at another group/social that's 5 days a week by default. But we can only choose one group/social, not both.

I've had to call our service coordinator at least every other week. I feel so uncomfortable bugging her again and again. I'm afraid she's mad at me or think negatively of me and my family.

I know there's nothing I can do right now but wait. I feel so useless. I can't stop stressing.
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
HippoCat
by Hadley on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Don't feel bad about calling her at all! This is the advocating part- your son needs you to do this for him. Try to see it that it is your son's right and not like you are putting someone out.

I can totally see why you are stressed out though. We work so hard to get something set up and then it is constantly changing and we have to do it all again. Hang in there- it will get ironed out eventually. I hope it is soon.
Jenifr
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:31 AM
Thanks. I need the encouragement. :(

Unfortunately and perhaps fortunately, his case will be transferred to the school district in January. There are still a lot of changes ahead of us. I hope it'll at least be a smooth sail after this until then.

Quoting HippoCat:

Don't feel bad about calling her at all! This is the advocating part- your son needs you to do this for him. Try to see it that it is your son's right and not like you are putting someone out.

I can totally see why you are stressed out though. We work so hard to get something set up and then it is constantly changing and we have to do it all again. Hang in there- it will get ironed out eventually. I hope it is soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN