Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

3 yr old anxiety?

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:18 AM
Jen
  • 15 Replies
Two weeks ago Liam started telling me his tummy hurts. He only said it right before school. (If you remember,
the first couple weeks of school were awful but after that, he has gone happily until about two weeks ago. He started telling me he wants to stay home and part of it was paired with a tummy ache). I'm figuring the tummy ache is anxiety, right?

Well I made him go anyway and once there and settled, he's fine. I've even stayed the entire day and watched from the parent room and he's been fine. And he's always super happy when I pick him up.

Well, last week, he started saying his tummy hurt first thing in the morning, even before I ever mentioned school. (School doesn't start until 1:00 pm) And I'm thinking, wow this kid has some major anxiety! But I usually ignore it and try to resolve it by offering food or whatever. And he's never gotten out of staying by saying his tummy hurts. So I can't imagine he is making it up to get his way.

And now this week, his complaints of his tummy hurting have progressed to even after school. Like once we are home. He'll complain, but then go out and play. Then come in and complain again. He's like his regular happy self and then out of nowhere, have a tummy ache. I just can't figure this out.

I know someone will ask....He poops pretty regularly, sometimes skipping a day. Yesterday he was on day 2 of not pooping so I was blaming that. But he pooped last night while I was at work. And then has woken up twice in the middle of the night saying his tummy hurts! (That's why I'm up now). I've heard that a tummy bug has been going around so I was waiting for him to puke tonight but he didn't. No fever either. But I don't think a tummy bug would last two weeks and progressively get worse.

Does this sound like anxiety? Any ideas of what I can do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bethkeagan
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:35 AM
have you ever tried the gfcf diet? even if he is going every day that doesn't mean he is not having a hard time digesting. is there something new you added to his diet? I understand anxiety may make your tummy upset but I also know that there is so much crap in the food we eat today that can cause anxiety and many other things. good luck I hope he feels better soon!
mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:30 AM
I haven't tried the gfcf diet. I just can't do it. It seems way too overwhelming and hard. My family could never stick to it. :(

I haven't added anything new. He rarely eats all day but at night binges. Dh thinks this is the cause. Which it might be but how do you stop that behavior? I can't force him to eat. And I don't want to withhold food either because I'm sure he is hungry.
My friends think he isn't pooping all the way. I might try some probiotics or mirilax or benefiber or something.

Quoting bethkeagan:

have you ever tried the gfcf diet? even if he is going every day that doesn't mean he is not having a hard time digesting. is there something new you added to his diet? I understand anxiety may make your tummy upset but I also know that there is so much crap in the food we eat today that can cause anxiety and many other things. good luck I hope he feels better soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
puertoricangeek
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Make sure he is getting enough water. Even a glass with a slight bit of juice, the only way my DS would drink water until recently.

Also have you asked him if he knows why his tummy is hurting? Maybe he could tell you something.

kajira
by Emma on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm prone to stomach issues when I'm stressed out... even if I like the activity going on... and with how delicate my stomach is - I had to be on a gluten free diet, and avoid foods im sensitive too.

Do you know that I was allergic to eggs, and my reaction to them was stomach problems similar to an ulcer and heart burn? I didn't have hives or a traditional reaction... but I finally landed in the ER with an elevated blood count due to eating them.

IT could very well be a food allergy.... that is manifesting in a weird way. It wouldn't hurt to have him tested.

bethkeagan
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Yeah the diet is hard at first but there are so many varieties now! I just went with my son's two favorite things and found them gfcf and it was so easy! I was so worried about it and stressed out and then I found that it really wasn't hard at all! especially when I saw how different he was from it! and remember you don't all have to do it. it really isn't that hard and trust me my son is a very picky eater! plus you can easily try it by getting a few things here and there to find out what he will eat and what he won't:-) I to don't let my son go without eating! I just can't do that especially when he has so many sensory issues with food! Good luck and I hope he feels better soon! I think you are on the right track with the probiotics:-) you try enzymes to they will help break down the food for him!

Quoting mypbandj:

I haven't tried the gfcf diet. I just can't do it. It seems way too overwhelming and hard. My family could never stick to it. :(

I haven't added anything new. He rarely eats all day but at night binges. Dh thinks this is the cause. Which it might be but how do you stop that behavior? I can't force him to eat. And I don't want to withhold food either because I'm sure he is hungry.

My friends think he isn't pooping all the way. I might try some probiotics or mirilax or benefiber or something.

Quoting bethkeagan:

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:47 PM
I have two boys.. My oldest is 19 and not autistic but yet he has worse stomach issues than Dillon. His were so bad and he had Cyclic vomiting syndrome ... So he basically threw up so much and so violently that he has had SEVERAL ER visits. His main cause? Stress.

I think his not eating and then binging isn't helping things but I completely understand that you can't control that. Stress comes and goes and school has just started... How is he on days off? I know my oldest would be ok weekends or vacations... Seemed Sundays or when a big project was due.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:46 PM
He will drink water, I'm happy about that. And I offer it often. So I think he's well hydrated. But I can keep an extra eye on that to be sure. Dh thinks he doesn't drink enough but he's gone at work all day so I'm not sure how he knows that. LOL

If I ask him why, he just keeps repeating 'my tummy hurts.'

Quoting puertoricangeek:

Make sure he is getting enough water. Even a glass with a slight bit of juice, the only way my DS would drink water until recently.

Also have you asked him if he knows why his tummy is hurting? Maybe he could tell you something.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:49 PM
I am going to pay close attention this weekend to see how he acts.

That throwing up after every meal sounds miserable. Poor kid. Has he grown out if that now?

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

I have two boys.. My oldest is 19 and not autistic but yet he has worse stomach issues than Dillon. His were so bad and he had Cyclic vomiting syndrome ... So he basically threw up so much and so violently that he has had SEVERAL ER visits. His main cause? Stress.

I think his not eating and then binging isn't helping things but I completely understand that you can't control that. Stress comes and goes and school has just started... How is he on days off? I know my oldest would be ok weekends or vacations... Seemed Sundays or when a big project was due.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:50 PM
What is the testing for allergies like?

Quoting kajira:

I'm prone to stomach issues when I'm stressed out... even if I like the activity going on... and with how delicate my stomach is - I had to be on a gluten free diet, and avoid foods im sensitive too.

Do you know that I was allergic to eggs, and my reaction to them was stomach problems similar to an ulcer and heart burn? I didn't have hives or a traditional reaction... but I finally landed in the ER with an elevated blood count due to eating them.

IT could very well be a food allergy.... that is manifesting in a weird way. It wouldn't hurt to have him tested.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kajira
by Emma on Oct. 23, 2013 at 7:26 PM

It's usually a blood or skin test.

Quoting mypbandj:

What is the testing for allergies like?

Quoting kajira:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)