Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Pecs

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:11 AM
  • 5 Replies
My 17 month old is currently non-verbal. She has failed a hearing test and we were told she has mild conductive hearing loss because of fluid build up in her ears. She is getting ear tubes next month. She has qualified for early intervention speech therapy, but they are only offering her once a month. She has so signs that point to the possibility of her having asd too (my 3 older girls have asd diagnosis), but she also has a lot of signs that suggest she may be mimicking the older girls. I don't know what to think.

Anyway, the point of my post is, do you think it would be worth working with her to use pecs cards to teach her to communicate with us? She is very slow to pick up sign language and the few signs she does know, she will not use spontaneously. She will use them when prompted though. For example if she is hungry she goes to the kitchen and starts crying at the counter pointing at the counter. If I say are you hungry she will start signing more, eat, please, but won't come to me and sign them before flipping out at the counter. When she is thirsty, she does the same thing only at the fridge or the cupboard where the cups are kept. If I ask of she's thirsty and wants a drink she will sign please, but will not sign drink. If she needs help she gets mad and throws a bit of a fit or she grabs my hand and puts it on what she needs help with. Then I will say do you need help, say help please. And she will sign help please.
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
kajira
by Emma on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:17 AM

It sounds like she is communicating the best she can considering.

I would maybe make things as easy for her as possible... but work with what you've got. She's trying.

by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:20 AM
We do. We are work with her with what she has and try to get her to do more. She gets so frustrated over not being able to communicate. That is why I thought the cards might help.

Quoting kajira:

It sounds like she is communicating the best she can considering.

I would maybe make things as easy for her as possible... but work with what you've got. She's trying.

SAMI_JO
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 4:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it would be worth a try. You will never know what could have been, unless you try.

wildchild.com
by Janine on Oct. 24, 2013 at 7:15 AM
I agree try them you never know...hugs mama.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 24, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Try it out mama...good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN