Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:42 AM
  • 16 Replies
Hi, my name is Amy. I have 2 boys and 2 step daughters . My oldest boy is 21 and is stationed in Italy in the Navy. He has been such an easy going kid and so sweet and funny. We had Clayton 5 years after Jess. Clay is a different story ( haha) from around 18 mos. old he has been such a challenge . The tantrums were unbelievable and we quickly learned that going out to eat or going shopping was not going to be a family event. He has never been diagnosed aspergers but I'm 99% sure he is. He is very high functioning and that's what makes him tougher to diagnose. In elementary school he was diagnosed ADHD , but I've always known there was more. I have struggled with getting an actual diagnoses because I was worried that him knowing he was aspergers would be more detrimental for him ( he wants to follow his father and brothers footsteps and join the military) I spoke with a therapist who said at this point a diagnoses would probably not be that helpful. However his grades are always an issue ( lots of D's ) and I know he struggles with self esteem issues. I'm constantly telling him how smart he is and that his brain works a little different than most. Anyway , I'm going on and on ..... It's nice to have found this site, and I think it will be so great to get and give feedback from moms in similar situations.
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aprilmaydawn
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!

icn_mom
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Welcome! It is very hard to get the recourses that would really help without the diagnosis and im sorry its so hard to get that :( that mamas on this site are so helpful, because the recouses here are mother tested and approved :) cant get too much better than that!:)
wildchild.com
by Janine on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Hi welcome to the group :-)
kajira
by Emma on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this
welcome
NiyasMom1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Welcome to the group!!!
jowen905
by Jan on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group, glad you're here...(just as a side note, my friend's son has Aspergers and he's aware of it - he's in the army now for a few years and is excelling there - just a thought!)

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

welcome.

Amymom65
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Thank you so much for the reply. It's so nice to hear that your friends son is doing well in the military !

Quoting jowen905:

Welcome to the group, glad you're here...(just as a side note, my friend's son has Aspergers and he's aware of it - he's in the army now for a few years and is excelling there - just a thought!)

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:53 AM

HI Amy! Welcome to the group. I really am not sure how to respond to this. I see your point of wanting and not wanting a dx at the same time. I can give you this bit of info though. It is very hard to enter the military with an ASD dx. I am not saying impossible but there is extra testing if I am correct,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)