Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

diet soda while pregnant

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:22 AM
  • 17 Replies
I was just wondering how many of you drank diet pop or (aspartame) while pregnant with your asd child.
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope. Never.
I knew at 2 weeks I was prego as I was under the care of a fertility dr for 4 years prior to being prego. I didnt drink soda, had only 8oz of caffine a day, didnt drink, didnt smoke, nor was I exposed to 2nd hand smoke. Went to the gym, took prenatals. Didnt eat cold cuts (nitrates) didnt eat fish with mercury content.

Conversley, in 1974 my mom smoked 2 packs a day, drank 1 glass of red wine, loved her coffee, craved hot dogs, chinese food (MSG) and bologna, not sure about prenatals.. (and she passed when I was 8, so.. cant ask. LOL)

bethkeagan
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:44 AM
sorry about your mom. are you sure msg was in the food back then? I thought they started adding that in the early 80s

Quoting SamMom912:

Nope. Never.
I knew at 2 weeks I was prego as I was under the care of a fertility dr for 4 years prior to being prego. I didnt drink soda, had only 8oz of caffine a day, didnt drink, didnt smoke, nor was I exposed to 2nd hand smoke. Went to the gym, took prenatals. Didnt eat cold cuts (nitrates) didnt eat fish with mercury content.

Conversley, in 1974 my mom smoked 2 packs a day, drank 1 glass of red wine, loved her coffee, craved hot dogs, chinese food (MSG) and bologna, not sure about prenatals.. (and she passed when I was 8, so.. cant ask. LOL)

wildchild.com
by Janine on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:54 AM
I did not...
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Nope.  I did not drink any diet soda...I did have regular Sprite though in the beginning when I was sick.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Not sure about the msg then.. Just assumed... Thanks for the 'sorry', lol.. Sweet, it was 30 years ago.. So, nothing I ever really think about. She left our family (me, my brother and my dad) when I was younger. My dad remarried.. We grew up "normal" (what ever that means, lol) with a house in the suburbs of NYC. 

Quoting bethkeagan:

sorry about your mom. are you sure msg was in the food back then? I thought they started adding that in the early 80s

Quoting SamMom912:

Nope. Never.

Linda733
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

No never. I only drank juices and water. I avoided caffeine and never smoked or let anyone smoke around me. I took my vitamins everyday and ate as well as possible with the exception of when I craved something not so healthy. I also exercised and walked a lot. It's hard to understand what could have went wrong when you make sure you take the best care of yourself and unborn child. At least it's been hard for me to understand 

mandy_2536
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:04 PM
No diet soda but i drank reglar soda and coffee during all three times And all three of them have asd
lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:05 PM
None. Aspertame is nasty. I can taste it even if it's in any recipe. I have a taster gene and it gets worse when I'm pregnant.
I don't think what you eat or drink causes ASD. I say that because my uncle is on the spectrum,my brother is on the spectrum, my nephew is on the spectrum, my husband is and so is my son.
lucasmadre
by Kari on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I have never had any aspartame and ate primarily organic while pregnant, who knows?

bethkeagan
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 6:50 PM
wow! I wish I could say the same. I unfortunately did. I am trying to not drink it anymore. I know how bad it is now but I still have at least one every Saturday. I definitely won't drink it if I get pregnant though!!!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)