Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training... Help!

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM
  • 8 Replies

My son turns three in five days. He is having some issues with potty training. He wants to sit on the potty. He really does. He wants to give it a try. He wants to go in the potty. He has given all the signs. He even runs in for help when he's ready to sit on the potty.

The issue is when he actually goes pee pee in the potty. He will actually scream. Blood curdling, petrified scream. He will shake and tremble and not talk, not even want his reward afterwards. Just absolute, pure terror.

I have no clue what is going on here. And no he does not scream if he has an accident, so it is not an infection. 

Any ideas or suggestions?

by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:50 PM
I aphid say keep a journal all and take notes of possible triggers.
It might be the sound he hears when his urine hits the plastic. It could be cold air hitting his privacy. It could be boredom. Books or magazines around.
by Janine on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Hmmm maybe have him sit down & pee? It might be freaking him out to see it come out. I'm not son is 8 & for the past week I've had to fight to get to sit on the toliet & move his bowels. Apparently he thinks there's "fishys" in the toliet & there going to bite him. LoL I know it's not funny but it kind of is. So I've lifted the cover of the toliet tank just to prove there are no fishys. He finally agreed to go the poop after holding it in for 2 days!
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 5:05 PM
My ds just turned 5 and we just celebrated that hr actually acknowledged an elimination. :( He just doesn't get it and hates the toilet also.
by Amy on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I think maybe let him try using the potty with his diaper/pull-up on for a while just so he can get used to it and see that it's not something scary.

by Darby on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Welcome to the group!  My son is 5 years old and not potty trained...we are working on it though:)

by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Take an empty bottle, like a plastic ketchup bottle or even a cheap squirt gun.  Let him practice shooting dropped cheerios in the toilet.  If he likes that, then see if he can pee on the cheerios and dunk them.

Let him watch others go to the bathroom.  Make a big deal how great it feels to get the pee out of you.  

Maybe he doesn't like the sound?  Maybe cover his ears, turn on radio.

I also agree, maybe have him sit to pee?  That's how my guys started out.

by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:30 PM

He is sitting to pee. He doesn't want books. He doesn't want songs. He doesn't want any of the usual stuff that they tell you to try when potty training.

We had a breakthrough though. He sat there for five minutes this morning playing with his blocks. He may not have gone in that time. But he happily sat there. 

And he happily tried at church because he had his toy motorcycle. If that works, I will gladly go with it.

We can't go back to diapers because he throws a fit and won't let us put one on him. He WANTS the big boy pants. That much has been made very clear to us.

by Carissa on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Only thing that worked for Ashton was routine and consistency. Oh and once he started going we had PECs cards that showed him the step by step. Rewards didnt work, only confused him more or he couldn't handle waiting for the reward or not getting it and just added to his anxiety. It took us a long time to train him..well, compared to my typical daughter who trained in 3 days;  training him felt like a lifetime. We also started at 3 and had to take a break and try again at age 4 and he was much more ready then. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)