Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

!!!slapped in the face!!!

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 6:58 PM
  • 7 Replies

My son is three and sometimes out of nowhere he will just hit me (UNEXPECTEDLY)  he also hits himself I am not quite sure how to react to this behavior me and my childs father typically argue about the discipline for example when my son hits himself his dad will say "hit yourself harder" i just dont know ?!!!!!please any and all advice or opinions greatly appreciated

by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:45 PM

what happens before the hit? If he is three does he know where his body ends and yours begins.. do you think its an impulsive swing and contact is a surprise.. does he like the funny reaction from your face how it contorts or the funny noise you make.
as far as hitting himself, Id let him know he needs to be gentle with himself and you...

NiyasMom1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:30 PM
Sorry no advice but sending you hugs and prayers!!!
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Sorry, Mama.  Hugs 

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I'm sorry mama. My dd bites me sometimes but she does it out of frustration. But she does bite herself sometimes for sensory reasons. When she does, I try to provide alot of chewy type toys. Can you get him to hold something in his hand to distract him, like a stress ball or bean bag? Maybe having something in his hand all the time will give him something else to focus on whenever this urge happens. My dd is almost always holding something in her hand, it seems to calm her having something to grasp at all times. She even sleeps with things in her hands.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Welcome to the group!  Does he have a behavior therapist?

wildchild.com
by Janine on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Welcome to the group. Not sure why but somtimes I think with my son he's looking for a reaction. So as hard as it is I try to stay calm & tell him no hitting we don't hit in this house. My son loves structure so I will tell him these are the rules & sometimes it works. It just depends on how far it's escalated.
JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I would try to ignore the behavior. Sometimes it's not about the hitting but more about the reaction he gets from it. Believe me it's hard to ignore when you get hit. Just take his hands in yours and say nothing. Move him to another area but say nothing. My son did this for a while and when he got no response he stopped. I found it hard not to say or do anything but as long as he wasn't hurting himself or anyone then he was fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)