Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone tried tracking bracelets?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:12 PM
  • 71 Replies

Nick's developmental pediatrician mentioned today that a tracking device might not be a bad idea for Nick.  It would go around his ankle in case he got away and could not be located.  

He is 5 years old and has ASD.  He is verbal.  He doesn't respond to his name more than 10% of the time and uses PECS cards to help prompt his speaking.  

Since starting school he has tried to escape nearly every day on the play ground.  

My mother-in-law is very much against this as is my husband, but I feel maybe it would be best.  

Before we got chain locks he got out of our house once alone and another time he tried to take his brother.  Never did he get more than a few feet from the door as we try to keep good track of him, but I am afraid there will be a day he does.  

I sometimes come off mean/rude, please don't be offended I really am trying to be nice.
Please stop by and check out my cafepress shop to see my autism awareness designs. http://www.cafepress.com/krista9p

by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenniy
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I've been tempted for my boys, oldest ds is autistic, and youngest is nonverbal and in a wheelchair for now.

Maxsmommy123
by Jamie on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:02 AM
I have not but I think I would if I were in your situation.
bethkeagan
by Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 7:13 AM
I think you and your husdan should talk it over and over again! it's better safe than sorry! is there maybe to much going on at the playground for him to handle so he is trying to get away? maybe he could go to the gym with a teacher and just let him run. good luck.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 30, 2013 at 7:56 AM

That might be a good idea for him...my child doesn't run away so I've never considered it for him.  Hugs!

mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:24 AM
4 moms liked this
If my child was a runner or a wanderer, yes. I do it! Imagine how easily they could have found that boy in New York if he had one on. He just walked out the schools front door and has never been seen again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:32 AM
2 moms liked this

I personally think it's a great idea. On the other hand my husband thinks the same as yours. He doesn't think it's necessary. We had to add alarms to our doors for fear he would get out. The windows have locks that he can't open the windows. My son has been  pretty good about coming back when called. I just fear that he won't one day. I mean if he was gone before someone noticed I don't see him coming when called. 

I have a line of sight rule with my son. He has to be in line of sight at all times outdoors. If I can't keep him in line of sight then we leave the area. I know the frustration. We moms have our "what ifs" and dads have the "hasn't happened yet" approach

letstalk747
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:04 PM

i have not but i would

BlessedAgain3
by Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:07 PM
2 moms liked this
I have one and love it. It goes around his ankle and my son doesnt mind it. It bring such peace of mind and i know if he ever got away i can track his where abouts... Why would they be against it??
Saeyah
by New Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this
My son has an ankle alert. He has asd and had wandered away from school once and home 2x in the night. I thank the stars that nothing bad ever happened when he got away from us, and on occasion he will kick his nurse or sibling and run when we are out. It can't prevent bad things from happening, but it can shorten the exposure. He also has a medical alert bracelet that has contact info and triggers should he be picked up by law enforcement or fire department before we get to him. My husband was reluctant at the start, but after talking about the what ifs and h understanding that with 3 other kids it is impossible to be everywhere at once, he caved.
singlemotherof8
by Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh i would try it for sure.  My granddaughter will be 9 next month and she still takes off without telling me where she is going.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)