Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What do you think? *UPDATE*

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:52 AM
  • 45 Replies
We were seen by a neurologist Tuesday due to my child's rapid head growth. She asked about his communication. When he was 6 months to 9 months he could say hey, hey there, mama, dada, nana, ki-kitty, dog, bye, and baby. Now, he's 13 months old and only says hey, mama, and dada. He is now walking. He doesn't point or wave bye bye. He also doesn't mimic any facial expressions. He doesn't respond when we call his name. If we raise our voices at all, he will scream and start crying so hard. He does not really play with his toys. He turns them over to play with the tires. He does still show.emotion. He still babbles and mumbles, but no new words or any of the previous words. He is now walking. He does look us in the eye. He does not bring toys over to show me. I just feel as if there is something wrong.

Hunter was evaluated by Early Intervention Tuesday. As of now, we are just going to have speech therapy. Everything else looks okay for now. Thanks for all the support. Just this week, he started throwing the ball with us! I can't wait to start speech therapy. She said then we would be wishing he would hush lol The neurologist finally called back and he doesn't have hydrocephalus. We are now waiting on an appointment for his MRI.
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I would take him to a neurodevelopmental pediatrician to be evaluated.  What did the neurologist say? 

auntkissy
by Karissa on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:56 AM
At this point she says she is concerned about his loss of words and his head growth. We are still awaiting a call from the office about our CT results.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I would take him to a neurodevelopmental pediatrician to be evaluated.  What did the neurologist say? 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Oh I see.  I would still have him evaluated by a developmental pedi.

Quoting auntkissy:

At this point she says she is concerned about his loss of words and his head growth. We are still awaiting a call from the office about our CT results.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

auntkissy
by Karissa on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:57 AM
I also took the M-CHAT last night and he was scored at a 14. I was told this morning that that actually has a high false positive.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Again, I wouldn't go by screenings like that.  I would go to a developmental pediatrician who is trained to evaluate for things like Autism.

Quoting auntkissy:

I also took the M-CHAT last night and he was scored at a 14. I was told this morning that that actually has a high false positive.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Hugs, Mama.  If you came to this group, you must be wondering if autism is a possibility.  I'd recommend going to autismspeaks.org and taking the MCHAT and then discussing results with your doctor.  They also have a developmental list of what your child should be doing at this age.  If your MCHAT shows autism red flags, I would get a referral to a developmental pediatrician for an assessment.  Yes, my son who has autism displayed much of what you listed.  However, your child is 13 months, so it is also possible he is just still developing.  Best of luck, and welcome to the group!

auntkissy
by Karissa on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:59 AM
How do I go about doing that? Should I call my regular pediatrician and ask for a referral or what?

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting auntkissy:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Exactly:)

Quoting auntkissy:

How do I go about doing that? Should I call my regular pediatrician and ask for a referral or what?

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting auntkissy:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

auntkissy
by Karissa on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:01 AM
I did the M-CHAT last night. He scored a 14. Yes, I do think autism could be a possibility. I am absolutely jealous of all the happy families with happy babies and mine is nothing like that.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Hugs, Mama.  If you came to this group, you must be wondering if autism is a possibility.  I'd recommend going to autismspeaks.org and taking the MCHAT and then discussing results with your doctor.  They also have a developmental list of what your child should be doing at this age.  If your MCHAT shows autism red flags, I would get a referral to a developmental pediatrician for an assessment.  Yes, my son who has autism displayed much of what you listed.  However, your child is 13 months, so it is also possible he is just still developing.  Best of luck, and welcome to the group!

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Oh, honey.  I'm sorry you are having a hard time.  I would ask for a developmental pediatrician referral to get your questions answered and bring you some peace of mind.  Regular pediatricians just are not equipped.  With all hope, your son is fine and is just going through a phase.  If not, at least you will know what you are dealing with.  If your son does fall on the autism spectrum, please know he is young, and there are plenty of therapies, early intervention, and things you can do to help your child.  The younger, the better!!  Obviously I didn't want my son to have autism, but he is just as amazing and wonderful as he could possibly be and brings our family lots of happiness.  I choose to focus on what he can do, and how every little accomplishment is amazing, than what he can't do.  It helps.  Hugs, Mama!  

Quoting auntkissy:

I did the M-CHAT last night. He scored a 14. Yes, I do think autism could be a possibility. I am absolutely jealous of all the happy families with happy babies and mine is nothing like that.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN