Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

stop calling him high functioning.

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 8:48 PM
  • 58 Replies
1 mom liked this
I'm tired of people calling my son high functioning. Yes he is higher than some kids but he is way lower than a kid you would label high functioning. Even his DX says moderate. He is smart but he is so locked inside himself. He cannot be reasoned with or bribed. He does not recognize facial expressions or tone of voice. It takes him a year or more to learn a skill or behavior. That does not make him high functioning!!
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 1, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Hugs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EthansMomma2010
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Thanks

Quoting mypbandj:

Hugs.
lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:14 PM
2 moms liked this
It is annoying that people have this idea that your kid is either high or low functioning. There's no middle ground and there are more than two groups of kids.
HippoCat
by Hadley on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:25 PM
3 moms liked this
It is so challenging when people act like they know your world when they don't. They don't know it unless they live it. A label certainly does not tell the whole story!
lucasmadre
by Kari on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:34 PM
5 moms liked this

Some days my son is "high functioning" some days he struggles. Hey, for that matter you could say the same of me :)! I think it is all subjective. I was just thinking today about how LITTLE we really know about asd. I think I would prefer "high functioning" to the alternative...hang in there. XO 

EthansMomma2010
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:43 PM
2 moms liked this
Exactly! And even his label tells more than most people will acknowledge. All they see is how cute he is.

Quoting HippoCat:

It is so challenging when people act like they know your world when they don't. They don't know it unless they live it. A label certainly does not tell the whole story!
HippoCat
by Hadley on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, my son is pretty cute to the regular Joe too! Sometimes not so cute behind closed doors though! Sometimes I look at his mouth when he is screaming and I am amazed that it can open soooo wide!

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Exactly! And even his label tells more than most people will acknowledge. All they see is how cute he is.

Quoting HippoCat:

lucasmadre
by Kari on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, you have to admit...he is awfully cute! I do agree though, labels are close to useless when it comes to our kids. Each child is as different as snowflakes.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Quoting HippoCat:

maciymommieof3
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:19 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't think the average person knows what is mild, moderate, high functioning

maciymommieof3
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that sometimes when people think of autism, they assume non verbal and rocking in a corner

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)