Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Another possible component to the back sleeping question .....

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:49 AM
  • 25 Replies

So I've always had a hard time staying asleep. Noises wake me easily unless they're very specific, like rain. I decided to look at why some people might be able to sleep through lots of noise and others have trouble sleeping through noise.

I found this:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/09/do-noises-wake-you-up-at-night/?_r=0

It says that the thalamus produces certain brain waves called spindles and when these are adequately produced, outside noises don't wake you. And people who don't produce as many are more likely to wake up from noise.   The thalamus is stated as the same part of the brain that takes in sensory information and relays it to the rest of the cortex. I find this connection very interesting because I've wondered if I myself have SPD and noise wakes me up (and auditory input is what I'm most sensitive with). 

So for those of you who have kids with lots of sensory issues, do they need it real quiet to sleep or some sort of sound machine so that no other random noises interfere and wake them?

by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:52 AM

Brady has a sound machine that we've always used in his room when he sleeps...since he was born.  He's now 5.  He can definitely fall asleep without it...he doesn't seem to mind if it's noisy or quiet.

lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:48 AM
We have a mini space heater/fan that we use. Without it he doesn't sleep.
bethkeagan
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:54 AM
the whole family sleeps with a fan on. none of us can sleep in silence! my asd son can fall asleep on the couch with kids playing loud but that's only when he is dead tired!
EthansMomma2010
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:00 AM
I have to have white noise for sure. My son and dh don't.
wildchild.com
by Janine on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:34 AM
Yes I turn on my sons fan to drown out the outside noise. Very interesting report thanks for sharing.
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:45 AM

DS is a pretty sound sleeper.. It takes a nightmare or more.

im a light sleeper, but ive always believed its a femal thing... Since we have to keep an ear out for the kiddos.. Lol

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I agree that to some extent it's not allowing yourself to sleep too deeply because of worrying about your family, but were you just as light a sleeper before you got married and had your own home to worry about? Sounds woke me up even as a child, way before I had those mom worries.

Quoting SamMom912:

im a light sleeper, but ive always believed its a femal thing... Since we have to keep an ear out for the kiddos.. Lol

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:49 PM

My son has wads of sensory issues, I think in his dx it says it effects 95% of his life.  Yet he sleeps like a log in terms of responding to sound.  He will not sleep well if he is having gut issues, but if the gut is ok, he'll sleep like no problem, music or no music. 

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Yep always a light sleeper... But always a girl too..Evolution? 

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

I agree that to some extent it's not allowing yourself to sleep too deeply because of worrying about your family, but were you just as light a sleeper before you got married and had your own home to worry about? Sounds woke me up even as a child, way before I had those mom worries.

Quoting SamMom912:

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Nov. 3, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Jonathan can go to sleep with or without noise. It just depends on how tired he is whether he ignores the sounds or not

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN