Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

which is more important?

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:52 AM
  • 35 Replies
At 3 years old which is more important? Socialization? Or behavior? Where we live we have the option to either use the autism scholarship for up to $20000 worth of aba per year or we can send him to public preschool. He is in the preschool right now but circumstances have changed and I would have the ability to pull him out and do aba now if we wanted. He is moderate functioning according to his DX. Not potty trained. Still hard to feed. Socially he is very outgoing though. What would you do? I'm struggling.
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wildchild.com
by Janine on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:38 AM
3 moms liked this
I would go with the behavioral because he can't socialize if he's not behaving...right?
lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:38 AM
I think it depends on the child if he's already social and you need to work on behaviors then do ABA.
BDSMI
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:48 AM
2 moms liked this

If you have the opportunity to do ABA you can work on the behavior and socialization will be a part of that the best of both worlds.

bethkeagan
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM
I agree. if you are having trouble with behavior then aba therapy would be great. plus will work on socialization skills to:-) so you will get both:-)
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I would go with ABA. You can always find other ways to get him around other kids to help socialize, even if it's just going to a busy park every other day. 

mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:22 AM

this!

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

I would go with ABA. You can always find other ways to get him around other kids to help socialize, even if it's just going to a busy park every other day. 

kajira
by Emma on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:10 PM

If socially he's outgoing, I wouldn't stress that right now, focus more on behaviors so he doesn't alienate his peers when he's older. He'll need to get some of the behaviors under control and work on social stuff later.

No one will want to be his friend no matter how out going he is if he freaks out in the middle of his classroom and hurts someone or will get bullied for a lot of that behavior by teachers and kids alike.

If you feel he needs ABA therapy, or therapies in general, give it 3-6 months. See if there's any progress and then re-evaluate.

coliemamiof2
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:16 PM
I would say to go with behavior theropy, social theropy you can do yourself for the most part. Find other support groups or make your own...take him to the library, park ect & let ABA do the rest! :) good luck!
emarin77
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Behavier.  Once a child is able to communicate their feelings they are better able to communicate their feelings and communicate with others more easily.  I'm surprized that ABA therapy cannot be part of pre-school too.

I found this very true for my son who did not need ABA therapy.  His anger issues were mostly at home.

EthansMomma2010
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:33 PM
In California it would have been but here its either or due to funding. :(

Quoting emarin77:

Behavier.  Once a child is able to communicate their feelings they are better able to communicate their feelings and communicate with others more easily.  I'm surprized that ABA therapy cannot be part of pre-school too.

I found this very true for my son who did not need ABA therapy.  His anger issues were mostly at home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)