Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

How am I going to do this??

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:42 PM
  • 59 Replies

Hi ladies,

My brother had an emergency with my nephew and now my mother and I are going to help care for my nephew so my brother can work. We are a close family and always there to help each other but I have my hands so full with my son and all his therapy I don't know how I'm going to make this work. My nephew is a year and a half old and wakes at 5am and his entire schedule is completely different from my sons schedule. I am always involved in my sons therapy sessions and I have to figure out what to do with my nephew while my sons therapy is taking place. I was thinking I could put him in my sons crib and fill it with toys just for that hour. Oh God give me strength :) 

by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

A play pen would be good. Adjusting the baby's schedule a little and adjusting your son's schedule a little bit at a time until they meet, ya know?

If the baby is NT, just take the baby with you where ever you go. He's walking I imagine so I might get a back pack walker. Spend some time with the baby and figure out what makes him tick. Cause the time you spend figuring out the new baby it will make everything flow smoother.

I would think that it is easier to mold a NT 18 month old than our kiddos. But I don't know. I've never had a NT 18 month old LOL

kajira
by Emma on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:05 PM
2 moms liked this
Get a back pack and take the kiddo with you. Baby gates if it's at your house, a play pen and a crib at 18 months is a potential falling hazard, if the kid can climb... danger might happen... Both my kids (nt and otherwise) were climbing over baby gates and stuff by 12 months. I would try to adjust his day time schedule to be more in line with how you do things through the day. Meal times, nap times, etc. Include a lot of fun playtime activities, preferably that include socializing with your son, it may actually help your son to have a playmate that's a bit younger.
Linda733
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Well I'm going to have him sleeping in a portable crib in a separate room from my son because if my son is awaken at 5am he's not going to be a happy camper. He needs his sleep just like his daddy. Yes my nephew is NT so that will definitely make it easier. The only real issue I have like I said is my sons therapy sessions. It's all floor time and play based and my nephew is going to want to play with the toys naturally so I unfortunately I have to put him in another room. I guess I will have to bounce back and forth from the session to my sons room for the time being. I just really don't want my sons therapy to interrupted or altered in any way. He's making so much progress. The other issue is my nephew is spending nights between my moms house and mine so we all have to work on trying to change his schedule a little. While my nephew is sleeping my son will be up and about and vice versa. I give credit to all the moms with more than one child. It can't be easy :)

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

A play pen would be good. Adjusting the baby's schedule a little and adjusting your son's schedule a little bit at a time until they meet, ya know?

If the baby is NT, just take the baby with you where ever you go. He's walking I imagine so I might get a back pack walker. Spend some time with the baby and figure out what makes him tick. Cause the time you spend figuring out the new baby it will make everything flow smoother.

I would think that it is easier to mold a NT 18 month old than our kiddos. But I don't know. I've never had a NT 18 month old LOL

Linda733
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:14 PM

So far he can't climb that well yet and my brother is giving me the crib which is what he sleeps in at home because he doesn't like his actual crib. I'm definitely going to have them playing and interacting together. My son needs that. I always stress and then find ways to make things work so I'm sure this will be no different..thank,you 

Quoting kajira:

Get a back pack and take the kiddo with you. Baby gates if it's at your house, a play pen and a crib at 18 months is a potential falling hazard, if the kid can climb... danger might happen... Both my kids (nt and otherwise) were climbing over baby gates and stuff by 12 months. I would try to adjust his day time schedule to be more in line with how you do things through the day. Meal times, nap times, etc. Include a lot of fun playtime activities, preferably that include socializing with your son, it may actually help your son to have a playmate that's a bit younger.

HippoCat
by Hadley on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:25 PM

My daughter is 18 months and we use floortime with my son as well. Floortime is great because the little ones help contribute. It does make it harder and your attention is diverted, but my daughter just goes to all the therapy with us. 18mo is old enough that they can play in their own a little bit so you don't have to be focused on them 100%. My son and daughter have actually become really close and I think a lot if it has to to with them both being part if the therapies. 

I actually had someone offer to watch my daughter recently while we go to OT and I was thrilled about it. After some thought though, I think I still want her to go with us. It helps my son be social with her and it us quite fun. It's scary to think if how you will handle it, but when you are actually doing it, you just figure it out.

Quoting Linda733:

Well I'm going to have him sleeping in a portable crib in a separate room from my son because if my son is awaken at 5am he's not going to be a happy camper. He needs his sleep just like his daddy. Yes my nephew is NT so that will definitely make it easier. The only real issue I have like I said is my sons therapy sessions. It's all floor time and play based and my nephew is going to want to play with the toys naturally so I unfortunately I have to put him in another room. I guess I will have to bounce back and forth from the session to my sons room for the time being. I just really don't want my sons therapy to interrupted or altered in any way. He's making so much progress. The other issue is my nephew is spending nights between my moms house and mine so we all have to work on trying to change his schedule a little. While my nephew is sleeping my son will be up and about and vice versa. I give credit to all the moms with more than one child. It can't be easy :)

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Linda733
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Yes floor time is great. All my sons therapy is in home right now so I can probably put my nephew in the playpen with a lot of toys to keep him occupied. I'm not sure the therapists would be ok with my nephew joining in on the session because they are probably going to feel its going to take the attention from my son. Also my son will probably get upset if he is playing a game or doing puzzles etc with the therapist and my nephew takes any pieces. I know that isnt good but i dont want my son getting upset during his therapy. My son getting his therapy is very important and I just have to find a way to keep it the way it is because its what's working for him. I haven't started any outpatient therapy yet only because they added an additional hour of DI and and hour of OT in home and I'm not sure what days or times they will be yet. 

Quoting HippoCat:

My daughter is 18 months and we use floortime with my son as well. Floortime is great because the little ones help contribute. It does make it harder and your attention is diverted, but my daughter just goes to all the therapy with us. 18mo is old enough that they can play in their own a little bit so you don't have to be focused on them 100%. My son and daughter have actually become really close and I think a lot if it has to to with them both being part if the therapies. 

I actually had someone offer to watch my daughter recently while we go to OT and I was thrilled about it. After some thought though, I think I still want her to go with us. It helps my son be social with her and it us quite fun. It's scary to think if how you will handle it, but when you are actually doing it, you just figure it out.

Quoting Linda733:

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

lucasmadre
by Kari on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

You are good to help out but I can tell from your post it is a lot to ask of you. Remind your family that your son is at a very important stage in development and you really have to work with his therapists. You can help but don't overwhelm yourself. Your son is your first priority. If it doesn't work out then you guys will have to find another solution. Good luck, stand up for yourself...

Linda733
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 6:04 PM

The circumstances that has led to,the current arrangement are serious and in all honesty it is for the protection of my nephew so I just was in a position where I felt I couldn't say no. It is a lot to ask of me especially since they all know what my life and schedule are like these days. I did let them know that my son must come first and his therapy is of the utmost importance for his development and that I am learning along with him during his sessions so I must be a part of each one. Worst case my mother will have to take him full time in the event it is too much. I will feel bad because my mother lives quite a distance from us and my brother will only be able to see his son on weekends but having my nephew at my house a few nights a week gives my brother the opportunity to see him during the week. I will feel awful if its overwhelming and I can't do it. I'm going to try my best and it may be easier than I thought :) thank you 

Quoting lucasmadre:

You are good to help out but I can tell from your post it is a lot to ask of you. Remind your family that your son is at a very important stage in development and you really have to work with his therapists. You can help but don't overwhelm yourself. Your son is your first priority. If it doesn't work out then you guys will have to find another solution. Good luck, stand up for yourself...

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 3, 2013 at 6:15 PM

First of all, you're an amazing woman and mother to do this...even if it's for family.  I commend you for that.  How old is your son?  

Is it possible to schedule your son's therapy while your nephew is napping in the afternoon?  How often and how long is your son's therapy?  

Hugs!

Linda733
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much. My son is almost 2 1/2 yrs old. No there's no way to change his therapy sessions. The therapists go from one house to another all day so to change Zachary's times would mean someone else having to alter their schedule. I wish that was a possibility. It would make things much easier..my son has therapy four days a week an hour each session and soon he will have two additional hours added. One hour for the DI therapy and one hour for OT.. 

hugs

Quoting darbyakeep45:

First of all, you're an amazing woman and mother to do this...even if it's for family.  I commend you for that.  How old is your son?  

Is it possible to schedule your son's therapy while your nephew is napping in the afternoon?  How often and how long is your son's therapy?  

Hugs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)