Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

need help

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 6:18 PM
  • 8 Replies

i was wandering if anyone had any sugjestions for me. i have a son with severe autism. he is nonverbal and is not potty trained. he is ten years old.  we have a hard time keeping his zip up jammies on at night and he is getting into his diaper wether it be urine or soiled.  we have turned his jammies backwards so the zipper is in the back and also tied a shoestring from side to side at the top. he still seems to get out of it. we went on line and saw that they had the same idea with the jammies for autism but no tie which he would get out of very easy. if anyone knows of any other ideas please let me know. my shompooer is getting burned up from shampooing carpets every other day. thanks so much lori

by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 3, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Welcome Lori!  My son is 5 years old with Autism, completely nonverbal and also still in diapers.  We are fortunate that he doesn't mess with his diaper or anything while sleeping.  I'm confident some of these ladies could give you some ideas though.  Hugs!

lancesmom2
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this

thank you. we are strong mommas and need each others advise. so glad i found this website.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 3, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Totally agree!  CM is a great site...I've been on here for over 3 years and love it!

Quoting lancesmom2:

thank you. we are strong mommas and need each others advise. so glad i found this website.

mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:12 PM
All I know about are little keeper sleepers online. Are those the ones you've already looked at?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Is he only doing it at night? Does he indicate in any way that he wants to be changed during the day ... like he wants to be changed immediately? I was just wondering if maybe he was giving any signs that he could want to be potty trained, like he doesn't like the feel or being wet or soiled. If that's not the case, sorry, no other advice :/

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Welcome to the group.  Sounds like you are trying everything.  Best advice - duck tape over the length of the zipper down the back of his clothes so he can't get the zipper down?   

RumaysasMom
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Maybe you can snugly duct tape around the top of the diaper. Obviously not on his skin. This might make the diaper to lose the ability of being elastic-y so he can't put his hand in his diaper. Our kids are like Houdinis they can get out of anything! Ha
lucasmadre
by Kari on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Welcome honey, I don't have any advice for you but I sure am glad you found us for support. XO

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)