Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hyperlexia

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:15 PM
  • 31 Replies
I came across this disorder while reading the 100 days of autism packet, and I had to further look into it because my son Max is obsessed with reading books. If you give him a flash card he will turn in around and read the paragraph on the back instead of look at the picture and he is only 18 months and has always surrounded himself with stacks of books day after day. They are his reward and my arsenal of distraction for happy Max.

Does any of your kiddos love to read and have they since a very young age??

https://www.wisconsinmedicalsociety.org/professional/savant-syndrome/resources/articles/hyperlexia-reading-precociousness-or-savant-skill/
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wildchild.com
by Janine on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:12 PM
My son started reading at about 6 & loves it. I didn't realize he could read so well until one day he just starting spouting out words off a cereal box. He is verbal but has a hard time getting the word out. So all this time he was reading to himself & I didn't even realize it :-)
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Brady LOVES books...any and all kinds:)  He's only 5 but at the level of a 12-18 month old though...his books are all board books!

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:55 PM
2 moms liked this

sam would be lost without his books. He learned how to REALLY read at about 4..at 5 he read all the magic treehouse books, at 7 he is reading 4th and 5th grade books... 

mommyofjc.kd
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:14 PM
2 moms liked this

My daughter started reading at age 3 and is now writing her first book.  She just turned 10.

Stephw1110
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Ben loves books. He had a baby Einstein picture book that he completely wore out. We could read to him all night if we let him. We are pretty sure he's starting to read himself some recently also. I had heard of hyperlexia but I never really put two and two together....
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:30 PM

My kid is an early reader. Not hyperlexia though. Just really likes words.

He learns about his world, first by reading about it, then by understanding.

For example, he learned his colors b/c he could read "red" "blue" and associate it w/ the color v.s. just the color. This was when he was 2 yrs old.

Today he is 5 yrs old and reads at the same level he has read since he was 3, (about level 1, bob books, etc.) so def not "advanced" but he is drawn to it.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Quoting SamMom912:

sam would be lost without his books. He learned how to REALLY read at about 4..at 5 he read all the magic treehouse books, at 7 he is reading 4th and 5th grade books... 

wow!

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Double edge sword... He only likes fiction.. (Magic school bus is good compromise) but MANY 4th 5th grade books have 10 year old langauge... Which at 7... Ummmm... His latest reads are the origami yoda series.. . Which has some not so nice words.."stupid, (which sam refers to as the S word) idiot, shove it... Ugh! Yucky.. He doesnt USE any of the words... But, sigh... He is reading them.. 

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Quoting SamMom912:

wow!

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Nov. 4, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I don't know if my son can read since he has very little vocabulary. I can tell you since he was 2 1/1 he knew his letters upper and lower case and recognized his numbers. He loves to look at the words on everything. I find him sitting with soda bottles, my books, manuals and just staring and turning the pages. 

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Quoting SamMom912:

Double edge sword... He only likes fiction.. (Magic school bus is good compromise) but MANY 4th 5th grade books have 10 year old langauge... Which at 7... Ummmm... His latest reads are the origami yoda series.. . Which has some not so nice words.."stupid, (which sam refers to as the S word) idiot, shove it... Ugh! Yucky.. He doesnt USE any of the words... But, sigh... He is reading them.. 

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:
Quoting SamMom912:

wow!

ohhh.... didn't think about that

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)