Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

My son is on an adventure. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM
  • 16 Replies

My son Jimmy is 22 yo. and felt he needed a change. He really wants to be on his own and grown up. As a child he was echolalic, head banging, flapping, melt downs, misunderstood, no eye contact, rarely spoke, spinning, stimming etc. classic autism.

Now he is doing quite well, is well spoken, able to make eye contact, stims in a way that is unnoticable to most and only rarely has a melt-down and usually there is a direct antecedent. He has learned to self-advocate, make friends, enjoy activities, graduated from high school and held a job as a couresty cleck at a grocery store for 3 years.

We currently live in the middle of nowwhere, mid-america. and he wanted to return to the west coast so he arranged to go live with his Grandma. (my mom) In less than a week it was all over and he had to go. My mom unfortunately, was not able to handle the realities of an autistic person in her home and my son was unable to cope in that situation.

He had to leave, but does not want to come home. He got a ride out of town to an old friends stayed for the night then took a train to his God-Mothers home. He is hoping to find a seasonal job and stay at least until after Christmas, if they will keep him. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. He is trying to be on his own with out having to depend on mom and dad. Thank you all.

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Ugh, As an adult with classic autism, I can totally sympathize with your son. Most people can't handle the realities of what it's like to live with us.

I got really, really lucky in a partner who likes my quirks and finds me a joy to be around instead of letting them "bug" him like so many other people do.

And I think it's great he can work! I know I couldn't handle a regular job and still be functional in a day to day life, so he's doing absolutely great!

i hope the other family can support his needs so he can have the experiences he wants.

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Thinking good thoughts for all of you and a strong prayer that he finds his happiness!  

jowen905
by Jan on Nov. 4, 2013 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Definitely!  I wish him the absolute best.

Jodee24
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this
He will be in my prayers! Hugs momma! Seems like he is doing great though!
Charizma77
by Carissa on Nov. 4, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I will say a prayer for him. Please keep us posted on how he is doing. Hugs!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Definitely saying a prayer for him:)

girl_incognito
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it's fantastic he is going at it on his own and he has goals too! It's sad his grandmother couldn't hack it. But hey her loss right? He sounds wonderful.
Will be thinking if your son.
wildchild.com
by Janine on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Sending prayers & positive thoughts his way...
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Nov. 5, 2013 at 6:27 AM
1 mom liked this

As afraid you must be for him, you must also be so proud! I know I've told you before I am always fascinated to hear about autistic adults so I know what ti will be like for Dillon, so this just made my day!

How brave of him to do this! It's a shame it didn't work out with your mom but bless his heart for not giving up yet! You go, Jimmy!!!

FBCHRISTIAN
by Ana on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh bless his heart, that is good that he wants to be independent. Definitely will pray for him! Glad to hear someone who is an adult doing so well. smile mini

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN