Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Well if he is going to be autistic...

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:49 PM
  • 34 Replies
2 moms liked this

Seriously that was a quote from my mom. Son Jim 22yo was visiting her. And she said over the phone to me "well, if he is going to be autistic I can't put up with him, he was so capable yesterday, he should be able to manage today". He is always going to be autistic, even though on really good days he can present himself as very capable and engaging. On bad days it is better to just let him be and deal with his own issues. He knows how to pull himself back from the depths of autism. She didn't seem to get this. My dh put it very well, he said "That is like saying if there is going to be weather..." There is always going to be weather. Some days are sunny, some are stormy, cloudy, windy, and occasionally you can get a blizzard,  hurricane or a tornado if the conditions are ripe for it. Just because it was sunny yesterday doesn't mean it can't rain today. Conditions at grandma's house  set a storm in motion that were heading toward a 5F tornado, he was able to remove himself from that situation and is now in a safe place with people that understand him and his issues. I just talked to him and he said the storm is over and it is a double rainbow day. =-)

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:31 PM
3 moms liked this

Glad he's doing good today:)  He sounds very smart!  I'm sorry your mom said that....makes no sense and sounds like she doesn't quite understand.  Hugs!

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:07 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm sorry your mom isn't able to connect with her grandson. I read your other post and thought how brave and amazing of your son to want to get out in the world on his own. At 22 my parents were still helping me some and I'm NT! Glad his situation has improved and congrats on an awesome job raising your son. Hope I do that well with my daughter.

Linda733
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Aww. I guess some people will never really understand autism and what comes with that diagnosis..sorry she said that..hugs 

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Hooray for double rainbows!

I love your dh's analogy!

:)

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Love how you worded this, brilliant.  Your son is amazing, how awesome he understands this and is able to manage his emotions through this.  I know non-ASD adults who can't manage as well as your son is.  Be Proud Mom!

wildchild.com
by Janine on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm so sorry your mom said that. I like the comparison to the weather.I'm glad your son is ok hugs!
Charizma77
by Carissa on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Love how your dh put it. So frustrating when family doesn't get it..

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes! Brilliant... I am SO going to steal this analogy! 

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Nov. 4, 2013 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Love the double rainbow day LOL. That is so cute. As for your mom she has to learn that our children come with many ups and downs. It's not something they can control. I would suggest downloading some info for your mom so that she can read to get a better understanding of your son.

letstalk747
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:34 PM
2 moms liked this

ohhhhh ,

i hear ya

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN