Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Had speech and Ot eval tonight...

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:43 PM
  • 8 Replies

It was interesting. I loved the speech therapist. Nicolas liked her too. He was in a great mood to be at this place for almost 2 hrs. The speech therapist was trying to do the evaluation, by showing him all these pictures. She would just follow him from toy to toy and ask him what was on the page. You can tell that she has dealt with children like Nicolas. She wants to do 1 time a week for 60 min. But she said that it would be ok if he can't handle it.

OT was totally different. She did her evaluation and just wanted him to stay at his seat so that she can do it all in a row really quick. I ended up giving him a M&M for him working hard with her. So, we did get it done. She also thinks that he needs some OT for his fine motor skills. His grasp of objects and using two hands for activities. She also asked about his eating, and wanted to help with that, but I feel like he is being taken care of for that.

In the end, I was so proud of Nicolas for getting through both evaluations with no episodes! He had a long day. He had OT at the house this morning, preschool, then the two evals. He fell asleep on the way home and couldn't get him up. This private speech, OT, and PT(we go for this eval tomorrow), are all new to me. I hope he can handle it. Even though he really surprised me today. They said that they will probably just do one day with one therapy after another until he is done. I kinda hope that he doesn't need the PT. I think the OT and speech is gonna be a lot.

by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Wow, you should be sooo proud of him.  Way to go!  My son started with speech and OT also when he was 3.  Good experience with both therapies.  Best of Luck!

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:15 PM

So glad the evals went well... So youll gt the PT info tomorrow.... Good luck with that one too. Hope all goes smooth...

too cute that he fell asleep after the busy day! :) 

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Nicolas has gotten speech and OT (for feeding) since he has been around 18 months. But the difference is that this isn't through the state. This is private and we aren't going to be getting this done in our home anymore. So, I just hope he will be ok with it all.

Oh, and I really am proud of my little man. He did so good.

Quoting Jenibob:

Wow, you should be sooo proud of him.  Way to go!  My son started with speech and OT also when he was 3.  Good experience with both therapies.  Best of Luck!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:54 PM

That's great! Sounds like things are really starting to fall into place for him.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:25 AM

Wonderful to hear that he did so well!

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:48 AM

It really is alot but I'm so happy he likes it!

emarin77
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I'm glad everything went well for him.  PT is for children that have difficulty with moving their larger muscles like legs/walking/hips.

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Yes. They wanted an eval because he can't walk up stairs alternating feet and pedal a bike. So, we will see today what they say.

Quoting emarin77:

I'm glad everything went well for him.  PT is for children that have difficulty with moving their larger muscles like legs/walking/hips.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)