Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

newly diagnosed ASD son

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:37 AM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

We just spent the last 2 days in an intense ASD eval. I'm exhausted, my hubby is exhausted and my 7 yr old is out of sorts. My son had been receiving PT, OT, speech and had an IEP. When he was 6, he tested out of services and without a "title", he would be left to fend for himself. We allowed ourselves to believe that he was ok, a little quirky-yes, but normal. And for the most part, he had a great experience in Kindergarten. His teacher was the same as last year, so she continued using what worked for him and his small class size and wonderful classmates gave him the social support to help him grow. Couldn't have been more pleased!! But then came the transition to 1st. Different classroom, kids and teacher. All of a sudden, the skills he had learned and the improvements were quickly disappearing. It became clear to us, that indeed, something was different with our precious little one. Now coming off of this recent diagnoses, I feel many emotions. Though the strongest one I feel is hope. I am hopeful that now my son is eligible to receive the extra help he so desperately needs to lead a productive life and have a chance at a great future. Now......if I can find a magic cure for toilet training???

Dani

boy kissing mom

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jowen905
by Jan on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Welcome to the group!  I'm glad you feel "hope" - it's natural to have many different emotions when you finally get a diagnosis, I'm glad that hope is one of them that you're feeling.  My son is now 12 and he's come such a long way from the frightened, anxious child he used to be.  I continue to have high hopes for him as well!  As far as toilet training, is it the BM's that are an issue?  My son was 4 1/2 when he was fully potty "poop" trained.  We used a lot of bribery - lol!  Good luck.....

KnittingMomC
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I just wanted to send you a big virtual hug!  My daughter is also not night potty trained yet.  Maybe I should also bribe!  

N.Carter2001
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:41 PM

welcome. My son is 5 years old. And still no luck on potty

NiyasMom1
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Welcome to the group!
Maxsmommy123
by Jamie on Nov. 6, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Welcome!!!! Glad you are on the right track
Krissyc75
by Kristin on Nov. 6, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Hello and welcome! Your at the right place:)
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:04 PM

welcome.
whats going on in the potty room? Is he too anxious to let it go? Does he not get the sensory info from his body? (HUGE issue for sensory kids if he is one...) does he not like the noises in the bathroom?
Hope we can help. Glad you're feeling hopeful!! Thats GREAT!!!
My guy is 7... Aspie... TONS of sensory issues.... but a great quirky fun smart kid..

workingandmommy
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Take some time for yourself is my best advice.  You've just been through a lot, and the break will do everyone a little bit of good.  I recommend yoga too - it has really helped center me.  I don't even go to a studio or anything - I just use youtube - free and easy!  After you are a bit rested, then, of course, you can hit the ground running, fighting the school district, or whatevery you need to do.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.

My boy's 4 and not potty trained yet either - it looks like it will be a long time for that one to happen so we're resigned to diapers!

HippoCat
by Hadley on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Welcome! I'm so glad you are feeling hope after receiving your son's diagnosis. That's a wonderful outlook to have. It sounds like even though he is newly diagnosed you have been doing everything that he needs to get him on the right path. Good job Mama!

wildchild.com
by Janine on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:53 PM
Hello & welcome to the group :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)