Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Autism & Braces on Teeth

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Amy
  • 22 Replies

Can anyone share their experiences with having braces put on their child's teeth?  My son will be going in at the beginning of the year for a consultation but we already know he needs braces.

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
puertoricangeek
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm an Aspie and I had braces for 7 years, I didn't have any problems what so ever.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Im dreading this myself... LOL...
Sam MOST definetely needs braces and (deep breath) I can barely get him to brush some nights.. LOL...am NOT looking forward...  Could there be a social story out there??
may the force be with you....

amonkeymom
by Amy on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Oh, a social story would be great!

Colin hates brushing too.  I often have to send him back after a ten second brushing session to do it again.  lol

Quoting SamMom912:

Sam MOST definetely needs braces and (deep breath) I can barely get him to brush some nights.. LOL...am NOT looking forward...  Could there be a social story out there??

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I was reading (as usual) and it said to have them rinse their mouths out with ice cold water before brushing as it lowers the sensitivity to the toothpaste. LOL.. it also suggested ice pops before new foods for picky eaters... interesting..

Quoting amonkeymom:

Oh, a social story would be great!

Colin hates brushing too.  I often have to send him back after a ten second brushing session to do it again.  lol

Quoting SamMom912:

maciymommieof3
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:41 PM

OK.... for my ds w/Aspergers it was bad at all.....we found a great ortho and he see's others w/braces too and he would rather go to the ortho than the dentist anyday...with my dd our ped dentist thinks that she will not be able to handle them...so what he did is pull 4 teeth to make room for the other teeth to come in straight...(she did go under general anesthesia for this procedure)

maciymommieof3
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

it was bad at all.      NOT....NOT bad at all

Quoting maciymommieof3:

OK.... for my ds w/Aspergers it was bad at all.....we found a great ortho and he see's others w/braces too and he would rather go to the ortho than the dentist anyday...with my dd our ped dentist thinks that she will not be able to handle them...so what he did is pull 4 teeth to make room for the other teeth to come in straight...(she did go under general anesthesia for this procedure)

jowen905
by Jan on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:52 PM

My 12 year old started with braces in July - he's done just fine (had a little trouble in the beginning, he had to have an expander for a month or two and I had to "turn the key" (which isn't really like a key at all.  You have to stick this long skinny rod into a hole in the expander and push down until it turns the thing a ma jig so that the second hole is visible.  First few days I thought I was killing him, had to push so hard in his mouth.......but we got the hang of it after a bit, though I was afraid I'd drop the little key down his throat each time!  And it was a pain for him to eat with that thing in the roof of his mouth.  So glad when he got it taken out.

He's really done well, and it doesn't hurt that his orthodontist is an older lady that reminds me of Mrs. Claus - very sweet and grandmotherly-like!

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Nov. 7, 2013 at 6:11 AM

D needs them badly but I keep putting it off until I feel he can handle it. Hurts my stomach thinking about it because he won't sit so well for a check up so what will he do with braces? sigh....

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Nov. 7, 2013 at 6:12 AM

OMG 7 years??? WOW! How old were you when you got them?

Quoting puertoricangeek:

I'm an Aspie and I had braces for 7 years, I didn't have any problems what so ever.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Nov. 7, 2013 at 6:12 AM

D is 12 so I'm glad you posted this!

Quoting jowen905:

My 12 year old started with braces in July - he's done just fine (had a little trouble in the beginning, he had to have an expander for a month or two and I had to "turn the key" (which isn't really like a key at all.  You have to stick this long skinny rod into a hole in the expander and push down until it turns the thing a ma jig so that the second hole is visible.  First few days I thought I was killing him, had to push so hard in his mouth.......but we got the hang of it after a bit, though I was afraid I'd drop the little key down his throat each time!  And it was a pain for him to eat with that thing in the roof of his mouth.  So glad when he got it taken out.

He's really done well, and it doesn't hurt that his orthodontist is an older lady that reminds me of Mrs. Claus - very sweet and grandmotherly-like!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)