Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Very worried!

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:42 PM
  • 15 Replies

Hi In the past one week, I have seen my son roll his eyes and blink fast for 10-15 seconds. I have seen it around 3 times. Once it was after he saw some bright lights.Yesterday I saw him stare at a light at the shop and then he again started to blink fast but this time didn't roll his eyes. I messaged his ped and he asked me to video tape it
and come to see him. I am very very worried about this. I am sitting with my camera all day. The more I read the more I get scared. I feel like I can't handle any more stress. We are going through the school district evaluation, endless therapies and now this new thing. Any advice?

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maciymommieof3
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:44 PM

not heard of this momma...sorry..  I know that my two have such a sensitivity to light and sound they constantly squint and cover their ears.

kajira
by Emma on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:47 PM

as an autistic adult, I do that with light and it's due to sensory issues and trying to process it.

mustbeGRACE
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I would take him in to see the pediatrician making sure that they're aware your child is on the spectrum.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I guessing it is a simple reaction to the light, the opening of the retina and the neat way things look.. our kids get fixated on stuff like that easily. I think u should relax a little.

jowen905
by Jan on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:18 PM

For sure visit with the doctor about it, if you're concerned.  Just as a side note, my 12 year old goes through "phases" - eye blinking for awhile, twisting his shirt, looking at things from the corner of his eye, etc.  For him, they come and go.  He has a mild tic disorder, and also develops new "habits" which (I believe) are his ways of coping and handling stress.  Hopefully this won't be anything you really have to worry about.  Unfortunately, there always seem to be new things coming up at every turn.  Never a dull moment!

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Nov. 7, 2013 at 6:18 AM

Welcome! I think it's just a tic or sensory issue. But it may not hurt to take him to his doctor and ask.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 7, 2013 at 6:57 AM

Welcome:)  It could be a sensory issue...hugs mama!

bethkeagan
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:01 AM
the scd diet will help with these kinds of issues. I would definitely take him to your Dr. better safe than sorry!
Angelmevans
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Both my DS's do this depending on the brightness of the light. They struggle with the bright lights or going from inside to outside.

Hope everything works out. Take a deep breath
Simran81
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Thanks for letting me know.

Quoting kajira:

as an autistic adult, I do that with light and it's due to sensory issues and trying to process it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)