Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Hard day at school, yesterday.

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:52 PM
  • 22 Replies

I made a post a couple of days ago saying that I was worried about Nicolas' first day back to the private preschool. It was mainly because the other kids have gotten used to the schedule and it is like Nicolas is starting all over again. Transitions is one of the hardest thing for him.

Well, when I picked him up yesterday, the teacher said that they had to give him the snack that I sent him because he had a meltdown about the snack they provided. (With his feeding issues, before the clinic, the plan was to give him their food and if he said no, then just give him what I send in his bookbag.) That is an easy fix. I just told her to give him the snack that I provide because he doesn't need that extra stress in school. You could tell that she didn't like it. Then she said that he had a couple other meltdowns because of the schedule. That he doesn't know it and that is why she thinks it is happening. My thought was DUH! I think that was a lot of meltdowns though for 2 1/2 hrs.

So, I start to talk to her a little bit about the IEP draft that I got. That they are going to be making sure he has several opportunities to move. Oh, then she tells me that Nicolas was constantly going potty. I told her that is his escape. He does that when he needs to get away because no one is gonna tell him that he can't go potty. (and if you do, you better be ready for another meltdown!) She totally ignores me and says, well we don't make them sit too long anyway, so that's not an issue. I just ignore it, and mention that they are gonna use visuals with Nicolas for transitions, and I think that will help him alot. That he has to know what is expected and when he needs to move on. She again shoved it off and said that they brought out the pictures a little today. I even offered to make a chart up myself if she gives me the different activities in the classroom.

Then she goes on to say that child find usually comes in the classroom with autistic children and they will be fine. I then go on to tell her that he was accepted into the special ed intervention classroom 3 times a week. That I still want him to go there and I don't know if they do that when they get accepted into the special ed classroom.

In the end, I felt like I was being brushed off! I came home and e-mailed her and told her that I want to have a meeting and reminded her that the IEP meeting will be on Monday. She said that we can meet in the classroom for a few minutes after class on Tue. Once I have done the IEP, and says that the teacher comes to her class for another student and wants them to come for Nicolas too. I made a phone call today and the person going to the meeting with me said that is a separate program. That isn't gonna happen. But we have the option of his teacher of the program could meet with the teacher on a friday after she gets to know Nicolas and give them some advice on what works for them. I just don't know.

I feel like the teacher at the private preschool doesn't want to do anything extra. I know that she has 17 other children. It won't take much effort to bring attention to a visual chart for Nicolas and give him a couple time reminders as they are going through an activity. I don't know where this is gonna take me...

This ended up being longer than I thought. Sry.

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jowen905
by Jan on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Geez, it's not like you're asking for the world - for him to eat your snack instead of theirs, for you to create an activity chart to help him transition and know what to expect?  That's nothing!!  Can you speak to the preschool director and he/she can maybe "encourage" the teacher to put forth a little extra effort.  Maybe switch teachers?  Let us know how things go, sorry it wasn't a good experience for either of you.

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Nov. 7, 2013 at 1:58 AM
I was thinking the director too. But I am going to wait until the little meeting when we are supposed to talk about the IEP. If she still seems the same, then I'm gonna go directly to the director. Then I can talk to her about what I think nick needs.

Quoting jowen905:

Geez, it's not like you're asking for the world - for him to eat your snack instead of theirs, for you to create an activity chart to help him transition and know what to expect?  That's nothing!!  Can you speak to the preschool director and he/she can maybe "encourage" the teacher to put forth a little extra effort.  Maybe switch teachers?  Let us know how things go, sorry it wasn't a good experience for either of you.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Nov. 7, 2013 at 6:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Make sure that when you sit for the IEP, you clearly state what is important for them to implement with him.  Bring notes or charts or whatever you need to show them! The teacher will need to follow that...OR ELSE...lol.

And never apologize for writing a post! That's why we're all here! To talk!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:05 AM

I agree with Michele.  I would be very firm and detailed in the IEP meeting.  Hugs mama!

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:05 AM
Thx. I was just saying sry because it was so long. Lol.

I have the IEP draft and have made a couple notes on that. They have done almost everything that the psychologist recommended. There are only a couple of things that we have to talk about.

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Make sure that when you sit for the IEP, you clearly state what is important for them to implement with him.  Bring notes or charts or whatever you need to show them! The teacher will need to follow that...OR ELSE...lol.

And never apologize for writing a post! That's why we're all here! To talk!

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:20 AM
The 2 thing your mentioning to her will help HER day go smoother too... Whats her issue?
If he doesnt know about transitions; he will take longer/b difficult.
Your wanting to alleviate his stress during the day; and thus hers....
Good luck!
Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:29 AM
That is exactly what I was trying to tell her. I don't know what the issue is. I bet it is that she thinks it will take too much effort on her part. I don't think so though. If she doesn't come on board real soon, I will be going to the director and talk to her about Nicolas needing this for everyone to have a good day!

Quoting SamMom912:

The 2 thing your mentioning to her will help HER day go smoother too... Whats her issue?

Good luck!

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:39 AM
Ya know ; if he had an allergy the snack wouldn't b an issue. If he had a wheelchair and needed extra time to prepare im sure everyone would accommodate.. But since he looks fine- they want to ignore his issues.

Quoting Nickmom1118:

That is exactly what I was trying to tell her. I don't know what the issue is. I bet it is that she thinks it will take too much effort on her part. I don't think so though. If she doesn't come on board real soon, I will be going to the director and talk to her about Nicolas needing this for everyone to have a good day!

Quoting SamMom912:

Good luck!

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:47 AM
I agree and I was hoping that I wouldn't have a fight at the private school, because I knew I would have to fight with the IEP team. It almost looks the opposite though.

I just don't see the big deal with him eating my snack, or letting me make him a private visual chart to use.

Quoting SamMom912:

Ya know ; if he had an allergy the snack wouldn't b an issue. If he had a wheelchair and needed extra time to prepare im sure everyone would accommodate.. But since he looks fine- they want to ignore his issues.

Quoting Nickmom1118:

Quoting SamMom912:

Good luck!

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

gggg, why is NOTHING ever easy... ya know?!

Quoting Nickmom1118:

I agree and I was hoping that I wouldn't have a fight at the private school, because I knew I would have to fight with the IEP team. It almost looks the opposite though.

I just don't see the big deal with him eating my snack, or letting me make him a private visual chart to use.

Quoting SamMom912:

Quoting Nickmom1118:

Quoting SamMom912:

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)