Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What is your child's biggest challenge right now?

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM
  • 120 Replies

What is your ASD child/children's (grandhchild, loved one, etc ). biggest challenge right now? If there is a lot just think of the one thing that you feel is the biggest challenge currently and if there is nothing then that's wonderful (and I really mean that!).  

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Ashton is anxious about his van ride (I made a recent post about it) and it is carrying over into his day to day life.. So I will say his anxiety aobut change is a big challenge right now (he is also talking about school next year because he will be in a different school and already anxious aobut that)... Sometimes he can't sleep at night becau he is thinking of everything he is doing that week and if its the day before music class he is anxious about that. I am a highly and anxious person too (although nobody seems to believe me because I hide it well) so I feel deep compassion for Ashton.

peaches_04
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:21 AM

potty training. id be content with atleast an attempt. or ya know getting with in 20 feet of the potty with out a melt down:(

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Communication...he lacks the ability to let me know when he's tired, hungry, wants to go outside, etc.  He's making progress though...he'll get there!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:23 AM

It took me a year to train Ashton (and he wasnt fully trained until he was 5) so I completely understand.

Quoting peaches_04:

potty training. id be content with atleast an attempt. or ya know getting with in 20 feet of the potty with out a melt down:(

Charizma77
by Carissa on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes he will!  He has a pretty awesome mommy :)

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Communication...he lacks the ability to let me know when he's tired, hungry, wants to go outside, etc.  He's making progress though...he'll get there!

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:26 AM
2 moms liked this

Studying.  He get's that he must practice to pass but it's a challenge to get him to do it. We are seeing this new streak of defiance in him.  Always a work in progress.....

emarin77
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Well we saw our son's kindergarten teacher today and she said he is doing wonderfully.  Educationnally is he is ahead.  She is working with him on how to use question marks and taking turns in class during class discussions.  Question marks are not really learned how to use in kindergarten but because of my child's language abilities she wants to go further with him and she expects him to learn it by the end of the year.

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Speech! I'd love to hear my little girl say words everyday ..... and the day she says 2 words in a row I may throw a party, lol. But right now I'd settle for her simply saying NO when I give her the wrong drink in her cup .... instead of her taking a sip, then spiking it on the ground. Not even attempting to graduate her from sippy cups yet, even if she does have the coordination .......

johnns
by Johnna on Nov. 7, 2013 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Report card- special ed preschool said Sally was having a heck of a time using a pencil and writing. As of Wed- they finally got her to trace a letter. I've had no luck with her on it, was hoping teachers had a 'trick' up their sleeve. More times than not, its when SALLY decides she WANTS to! Lol Yep, she's running the show here!!
SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Focus.  My DS 6yo ASD is in an Autism classroom.  He is doing grade level math and reading,when working 1:1,but gets distracted easily during transitions and group work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)