Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Handwriting Issues

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:44 AM
  • 17 Replies
Hi moms,

I am seeking advice regarding my little boy who is almost 5 and who has issues with holding the pen correctly. He gets OT in school but it is not great . He. Has a very immature grasp and holds the pen as if he is going to stab someone, just reporting what one child told us... He also cannot color large areas and gets tired easily . Sometimes he does not even look at his work. I was told things will improve with time, but I was wondering if you guys had some tips and suggestions.

Thanks,
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnns
by Johnna on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:29 AM
I'm in the SAME boat! My little one is having a hard time with this also. I hope someone has some tips for us!
mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

How old is he? 

Ways to help him improve would be to just work on fine motor coordination. Does he like playdough? You can google it and find endless recipies! You can bury things inside and have him dig them out. You can have him play with shaving cream, get him to use scissors (cutting up ropes of playdough is fun). Build sand castles, finger paint, etc. Anything that uses his fingers. 

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

OT and school used "Handwriting without Tears" for help. School used accomodations like fill in the blank dashes and small boxes to help my son know where to write and guide it to the correct size. We also used pencil grippers.  

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Any exercise thatbworks his arms will be helpful. You fine motor skills are hindered by weak upper arms... Its a chain reaction down your arm... So push heavy objects, walk on hands like wheelbarrow, push ups against wall, walking like a crab, push ups, jumping jacks,

Does he have low muscle tone? A vibrating pen (6.00) will wake his hand up before he has to do writing... Do work in short periods of time... 3 min writing, 6 minutes not... 

My son is 7. Low muscle tone, poor handwriting. Much of school busy work revolves around "coloring"... Like its a reward... HA! Make sure your son does not have to participate in the busy work that way, so that when he has to write, he has the stamina to do the real work. 

Coloring is not a skill necessary in life,, it will get better in time (7, my son can JUST about do it now) there are some cute youtube how to hold a pen, pencil... And my guess is changing his grasp is also going to tire him out.. So be patient.. Remember, he is doing his best, this is HARD work. 

letstalk747
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 6:06 PM

my son 13 has had various theripies and still dont hold a pencil right we have worked on this for years

smarieljlee
by Sara on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Assistive technology. My dd does do some writing but we no longer stress about it. She's learning keyboarding this year. Uses the ipad as well. 

wildchild.com
by Janine on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Quoting smarieljlee:

Assistive technology. My dd does do some writing but we no longer stress about it. She's learning keyboarding this year. Uses the ipad as well. 

My son is too :-)
Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM

This is why when Nicolas got evaluated for autism, that one of their recommendations was to get an eval for OT for fine motor skills. He starts next week. He holds the pencil or marker at the top of it and makes a fist around the top. It is a really weird hold. I kinda wish he would hold it around it with a fist.

johnns
by Johnna on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:43 AM
Saw Sallys preschool teacher from last year where I work last night. She suggested using broken small crayons- they will naturally pinch them at the bottom to write. I'm going to give that a try!

Quoting johnns:

I'm in the SAME boat! My little one is having a hard time with this also. I hope someone has some tips for us!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Hugs mama...these ladies have some good advice.  My son is 5 but doesn't write yet.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)