Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Wild child!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Jen
  • 11 Replies
My 3 yr old is becoming a wild child. It's just like how his big brother acted, putting his feet on us, pushing on us with his feet (which hurts!), hitting or banging into us, jumping on us and all around mostly just rough housing. But nobody likes it and we tell him no. But it's like how his brother was, unless we hurt his feelings by demanding he stop, he won't. I'm feeling like its a mix between sensory and not understanding how his actions affect others. Does anyone here have similar issues? Or ideas to help?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Here's what helped w/ my ds...

I've had that happen...

Putting/pushing feet on me - I move away. I just stop playing w. him and do something else. I try to catch him being good and praise him for nice or calm feet.... I play w/ him a lot in an activity he enjoys and if he starts to do that, I stop playing w/ him. If he's not involved in an activity w/ you and you'd like to have him play independently, then, like I said, I move away... But I guess, make sure he has a toy that he likes and can engage w/ semi-independently. I pop in and out and praise when he is being independent... 

hitting me - is it frustration?

rough housing - i tell my ds, let's play gently and then I would model what gently means and i would have him copy and praise when he did copy...

I hope this helps.

As for why, I think your idea is spot on :)

wildchild.com
by Janine on Nov. 9, 2013 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I do can you tell by my name? My son is the same way but he has adhd. The best way I can describe it is he's like a pinball bouncing off the walls. With my son I try to to make it a point to tire him out & get some of that energy out. But sometimes that backfires & he gets overstimulated.
amonkeymom
by Amy on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:04 PM

My youngest (the one on the spectrum) can be like that too.  When he was little, he loved butting his head into mine (and ouch, I swear his head is harder than rock!) and he still tends to be rougher than he really needs to be.

lucasmadre
by Kari on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I think if you give him an alternative to hitting you  (a plastic punching bag for example) and every time he pushes you take him to the bag and tell him "if you want to hit/push/kick something hit this! It worked for my boy...they need to get that energy out but it can't be directed at you. Good luck!

Kdblanch
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I was always taught to ignore those behaviors I know its so hard!!!!! Autistic kids love positive and negative reactions my daughter does anyway..   It's still hard ignoring somedays I just can't handle it.  But the hitting and bitting has stopped.  But she always picks up a new behavior to drive me crazy!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Can you ignore any of it?  That's the only suggestion I have..Brady's pretty low key for the most part so I can't relate too much.  Hugs!

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Sensory.  DS 6yo ASD loves to crash.  Jumps on trampline and crashes on couch or beanbag chair.  He is redirected to kick a ball or hit a pillow.

humbledmom310
by Kelly on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Sounds like proprioceptive disfunction (SPD) . Crashing, jumping, rough housing, are common symptoms.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:52 AM

Honestly Jen, both my boys are so well behaved. My wild child is ans was my daughter! she's about to turn 17 and I swear it's just part of a child's personality!

heathers5500
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:46 AM
That sounds a bit like he is sensory seeking.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN