Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

spinoff of tv post

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:26 PM
  • 14 Replies
What do yiu do for your kids downtime? My son needs a lot of downtime and frankly I can only read so many books per day. Idk what else to do. He is finally learning to play on his own and I do encourage him to do that a lot and I turn off the TV a lot plus he goes to preschool. What are your ideas for TV free total downtime?
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:44 PM

We do tv downtime ..... my daughter doesn't get consumed in the tv unless it's specific shows. And I do let her watch a few of her shows a day. I think it helps her process the things I try to do with her .... because we'll do activities together and after a little while, she starts getting ansy and frustrated. So when she gets too frustrated to engage at all, I'll turn on a movie. After the movie, she's bubbly and ready to interact with me again. Her other favorite downtime is playing in water. We have a water table in the backyard and I'll sit outside and just let her play in it. She searches the yard for things to throw in the water and she can do this for hours. Now that it's getting too chilly outside to do that, I give her a big bowl of beans and lots of cups, spoons and plates and she plays in the beans. 

SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Aidan's downtime is reading. He loves books. He'll find a quiet spot and just sit and read books for about an hour or so.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Brady likes to just play in his playroom with all his toys...he'll do it for hours if I let him!

wildchild.com
by Janine on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:06 AM
My son plays with his Innotab & my old cell phone. He loves electronics.
mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:13 AM
He loves to run around outside with the neighborhood kids. He'd do that over watching tv any day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EthansMomma2010
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:36 AM
I totally forgot our bean bin is outside! I need to bring that in for him. Thanks.

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

We do tv downtime ..... my daughter doesn't get consumed in the tv unless it's specific shows. And I do let her watch a few of her shows a day. I think it helps her process the things I try to do with her .... because we'll do activities together and after a little while, she starts getting ansy and frustrated. So when she gets too frustrated to engage at all, I'll turn on a movie. After the movie, she's bubbly and ready to interact with me again. Her other favorite downtime is playing in water. We have a water table in the backyard and I'll sit outside and just let her play in it. She searches the yard for things to throw in the water and she can do this for hours. Now that it's getting too chilly outside to do that, I give her a big bowl of beans and lots of cups, spoons and plates and she plays in the beans. 

lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Playing with his toys, his nabi, TV. He loves being outside.
Maxsmommy123
by Jamie on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:18 PM
My son just pages through books on his own if I'm not working with him, he swings in his sensory swing, we blow bubbles and he pops them, jumps on his trampoline.. I lay his favorite blanket out on the floor and we listen to music, I follow him around with flash cards and ask him to pick one, and if he isn't doing something like that he just kind of wanders around and explores and touches everything.
Maxsmommy123
by Jamie on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:20 PM
We have bean bins and stuff too
BDSMI
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this

careful my asd son is 14 and we have to watch his every move around a computer.  He too loves electronics and his skills are far beyond that of a typically teen....

Quoting wildchild.com:

My son plays with his Innotab & my old cell phone. He loves electronics.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)