Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

That "Deer in the Headlights Look" Questions about hygiene.

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Amy
  • 27 Replies

LOL!

I told my kiddo he needed to take a shower this morning.  He finally just came downstairs (after showering & putting clean sheets on his bed) all dressed.  I asked him "Did you take a shower?"  "Yes" was his reply.  Next I said "So, let me smell your hair!" and he just stood there with this look on his face, and I knew he was thinking Crap, busted!  He often gives me the same look when it comes to questions about brushing his teeth.

Needless to say, he's back upstairs in the shower again.  

Does your teen or preteen also have issues with hygiene?  

by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jowen905
by Jan on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Since he's in full-throttle puberty, my son has to be sure to take a shower everyday.  Always the same response when I tell him in the evening (throws himself on the couch moaning), but once in there he's singing and talking and takes longer than I do.  He did actually take the initiative and get in the shower without being told one night last weekend (he'd been playing outside all day and I think he could smell himself!)

amonkeymom
by Amy on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Yeah, my kiddo is 12 and is dealing with body odor, starting to grow facial hair, changing voice, etc.  They can get really stinky and when he doesn't want to get clean... ugh!

Quoting jowen905:

Since he's in full-throttle puberty, my son has to be sure to take a shower everyday.  Always the same response when I tell him in the evening (throws himself on the couch moaning), but once in there he's singing and talking and takes longer than I do.  He did actually take the initiative and get in the shower without being told one night last weekend (he'd been playing outside all day and I think he could smell himself!)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:53 PM

We aren't there yet, but I expect there to be issues.  Hugs!

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

My NT 10 year old, YES!!  And he's been smelly since 9, hairy since 10.

My 5 year old child with ASD I can hardly get out of the tub, and he wants a bath every night after dinner.  With my luck that will all change once he really gets to needing them.  Lol! 

BDSMI
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:04 PM

MY ASD 14 year old is getting better. I gave him a timer that goes off after 10 min that is how long he must stay in the shower and make sure he gets washed and hair washed too....he has done much better with the timer...FYI I have it on a ding not a long loud noise as that would freak him out!!!!  I stil have to remind him to use deordant but getting better too.

Ajisai43
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:22 PM

My nine year old will often come out of the shower not smelling like roses or bergamot or whatever shampoo and soap he has used.  He has a tendency to wash only the crown of his head so while he has indeed washed his hair he hasn't washed ALL of it.  And that is where the battle begins, he did but he didn't.  I make sure he stands in front of the mirror in the shower so that he can see where the suds are and aren't and encourage him to massage his whole head to make it feel good and also to smell good.  That works for a while and then he falls out of the habit and we start over again.  Anyhoo, he thinks it takes too long and is a waste of time to spend cleaning EVERYWHERE.  I am pretty sure we have read books and social stories on personaly hygeine when he was younger.  Guess I need to find them again! I am so dreading puberty . .  

Lisamg
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:41 PM

my son is 15 and finally getting better with the shower. I do have to remind him to take showers. He doesn't fight it the way he used to. He can get pretty stinkey. Still not good about getting hair clean.

letstalk747
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:11 PM

i give my son the sniff test after his shower every time and he knows he is taking another one if i dont smell soap on him

mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:35 PM
OMG YES!!! Both my teens!! Ds is 16 and I have to make him brush his teeth and use deodorant. Dd is 13 and she is the same way! It's only recently that they started showering daily. That used to be a struggle. And we went through the not washing the hair phase too. Still do sometimes. GAH it drives me bananas!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
johnns
by Johnna on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:46 AM
My ASD 5 yro LOVES a bath! Her NT stinky 14 yro brother- is another story! He's been like that ever since he's been old enough to take a shower on his own. I think its just laziness. But...the more interested in girls he gets- I figure he might be more motivated. I can't get my NT 16 yro OUT of bathroom- he never met a 'mirror' he didn't like! Hahaha! Who knew boys could be as bad as girls?!?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)