Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

How do you teach independent skills?

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:18 PM
  • 10 Replies

My daughter is constantly in our face. I can't talk use the bathroom, make dinner,light house cleaning, etc.

how do I teach her to at least do something by herself for 10 min,

any advice?

by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucasmadre
by Kari on Nov. 10, 2013 at 4:54 PM

It is a process, I knew my son would probably be an only child so from the time he was tiny I would get him involved with some toys and then back off and let him play by himself for a while. It takes a little time but they get the hang of it. She may be resistant at first but I think it is a learned skill. My son has never come to me and said he was bored and he is 9...that is pretty good I think :) good luck. 

kajira
by Emma on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this

MY son is like that... my toddler is more respectful about my privacy, bathing, or talking on the phone.

I generally just make clear boundaries and keep enforcing them. I also compromise - i.e. if I need to talk on the phone, I'll have him watch a movie, or give him an activity he doesn't get with out earning it.. just to keep him occupied for a few minutes.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Welcome to the group:)  Glad you're here!  How old is your daughter?

mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this
How old is she?
Try teaching her while you actually have time to be there (but step back so she can play by herself) and redirect her. Try to use a timer or visual schedule. Get her to first play alone for one minute. Praise her efforts and keep increasing the time as she learns. Practice practice practice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kdblanch
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Shes 11 she doesnt have indep skills.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I see.  My son is 5 with no independent skills either.  Hugs!

Quoting Kdblanch:

Shes 11 she doesnt have indep skills.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Kdblanch
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Yes that used to work when shes younger but now she won do anything by herself

Quoting kajira:

MY son is like that... my toddler is more respectful about my privacy, bathing, or talking on the phone.

I generally just make clear boundaries and keep enforcing them. I also compromise - i.e. if I need to talk on the phone, I'll have him watch a movie, or give him an activity he doesn't get with out earning it.. just to keep him occupied for a few minutes.

Kdblanch
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Will definately try this
Tx

Quoting mypbandj:

How old is she?

Try teaching her while you actually have time to be there (but step back so she can play by herself) and redirect her. Try to use a timer or visual schedule. Get her to first play alone for one minute. Praise her efforts and keep increasing the time as she learns. Practice practice practice.

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I feel for you. My son was doing a lot on his own. Then my nephews came and lived with us for about 7 months. They are gone now, and Nicolas won't do anything on his own. Now, I am trying to retrain him all over again. It is coming along but very slow. His intervention class is also trying to work on independance with him too. That is one of his goals in IEP. My son will be 4 next Mon.

coliemamiof2
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:13 PM
I'm more worried when my DD isn't up my butt at all times...bc then it usually means she's into something! Lol...this could also just be a phase. Try talking to her like you would any adult, explain you need some space (this works for my DD bc she feels important that I'm conversing with her like an adult & she'll respond with "okay!" Tho, most of the time, has no idea what I just said...& I like to throw in some big words for her, which will sometimes make her laugh)...then she's over it, she got her attention & goes on playing :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)