Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

School Services

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:56 PM
  • 35 Replies

Is your child in a special ed class at school?  Autism class?  Mainstream class?  Do they receive any therapy at school?  If your child has a medical diagnosis of ASD, does the school recognize that or do they argue/fight you on it?

by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
patnic
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:05 PM

My son is in a typical classroom.  He receives speech, ot and is pulled out for extra reading help.  He has a medical dx of pdd-nos, but a school dx of asd so he can receive services.  And no, they have never fought us over it.

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:24 PM

My oldest is in a special ed class. He's in 1st.  He gets speech, ot and the extended year. He is not mainstreamed at all. 

My youngest is in an aba class. He's in preschool. He gets speech, ot, pt and the extended year. He also gets one on one for the moment. 

The school recognizes they have autism and don't fight us. 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Last year my son with ASD was in a special ed calss room of about 6 kids (we don't have autism classes/schools here).  That was even prior to his dx that I got over the summer.  This year he is in mainstream/inclusion room with 19 kids that is co-taught by a gen teacher and the sped teacher he had last year.  They added his dx to his IEP but did not challenge it.  I just took in dr notes.  He does get speech therapy and OT consult, teacher also does tons of OT and sensory type therapy/activities with him.

3guys4me
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:54 PM
My son is in an inclusion kindergarten class. 27 students in the class and he is one of 7 on the spectrum. 1 teacher plus 1 para. He is pulled out for speech and OT and has 2 hours a week 1:1 in the classroom with the sped teacher.
3guys4me
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Forgot to add... He has an autism diagnosis, and while they did accept it, I had to fight for an IEP because according to the team chair "a diagnosis is not a disability"
Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I will update this more tomorrow. But I have a feeling that I am going to have a fight to put autism on his IEP. I go for the meeting tomorrow. They have DD, but the psychologist agreed with all the paperwork that he has autism.

He will be getting into the special ed early intervention preschool, 3 days a week. The teacher used to be an ABA therapist. So, she is supposed to be good. The draft says he will be getting speech, and OT therapy. I am going to try to fight for more OT because they didn't include any fine motor. Just sensory and eating. He is also eligible for the extended because of social delay. I'll let you guys know how the meeting goes.

Angelicmom24
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:42 PM
My son has dx of asd nos pdd school just added it to iep but fights to address his needs due to his dx.. tho I have won and got one on one para 90% of his day ot pulled out once a a week he also getsnin school psr.. I am bringing in school board for senory help and time to check in witj him daily due to never knowint how he is from day to day..my school doesn't like to do anything..its a fight on even calling me when he is having troubles
Charizma77
by Carissa on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Ashton is part time in an autism support class (with 7 other kids grades k-3). His teachers and aides rock and we love that class. He's mainstreamed for all of his specials (gym, art, music, etc) history, science,  health, lunch and recess. He is not at grade level for math or reading so he spends most of his time in his support class working one on one with those subjects...  We have a very good IEP in place and the school works well with us. However, he is n 3rd grade and last year for this class and then the next support class is in our district (we share support classes with another school district) and I hear mixed thoughts on that class. We are going to be observing the class as well as considering private school or fully mainstreaming him. It's overwhelming and scary and I am praying like crazy and have my friends and family praying for us as well. 

BDSMI
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:58 PM

It really all depends on the state and how they view the disability. I lived in Indiana and they refused the autism diagnois and instead had him under other impairment because according to the state his speech was the main issue not autism however in Ohio they go by what the medical diagnosis is which is autism. Now with other disabilities they gave me a choice.  I stuck with autism to give him the most services.

mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:38 PM
My 16 yr old is in 100% mainstreamed classes. Always has been. They've never argued his medical Dx. When he did qualify for speech and OT (he doesn't anymore) I had to drive him there because he was attending private school at the time and the public school wouldn't give him services in the private school.

My 3 yr old is in a phonology class. And it's only for kids who need it. So I guess it isn't mainstreamed? But he also attends a private preschool that is a mixed class of kids with IEPs and NT kids and kids learning English as a second language.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)