Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Common Core

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:21 AM
  • 6 Replies

So how does everyone feel about this new Common Core testing that the US school districts have adapted. I know that many 'neural typical 'parents are all ready complaining about the complexity of the Math questions. I can only imagine how it is going to be for all the children with ASD who are 'concrete thinkers' and who are already working so hard to keep up in the mainstream. Any thoughts on how this may effect our children?

(above picture is an example of a second grade math problem for common core testing)

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Mi_Chelly
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Two of my four kids are having issues with it. My NT Teen (16) and my ASD Pre-Teen (10). My ASD hasn't had much to do with it yet, mostly since his teacher gets most of her work from edhelper.com. The Saxon Math that my 16 year old is doing for her geometry is just insane. I know geometry and everything I know, is now "wrong". Her teacher even admits she is confused by it. So scared of how my ASD kid will handle it when he finally gets there. 

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:51 AM

I think the new testing is tupid. You cannot put all the children in one group and think they will all test the same. Dillon has the WORST time in Math so none of this gets to him. You can drill these lessons in his head and when it somes time for testing he's likeblank stare...poor kid lol.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:02 AM

Wow...that's tough for a 2nd grader!  

johnns
by Johnna on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:16 AM
I think its more gov control!
girl_incognito
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:49 AM
I have a daughter with nonverbal learning disability, she is a very concrete thinker. CCS hasn't hurt her yet. I have actually seen some growth
My other child who is considered NT, who is extremely intelligent... advanced placement classes and has always done well in school is struggling so hard
This is the first year CCS has been implemented in our district, it will go statewide here next school year.
I am divided on this. I think it's a way for the governement to gain control. The idea that we are getting back to the basics is great, but they need to let teachers set the standards... not a group of people that haven't been inside a public education setting since they left school!

My child on the spectrum is not on the diploma track any longer so I do not have to worry so much about him
Charizma77
by Carissa on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I honestly need to do more research before I can voice an opinion. But, I have yet to hear anything good from it and yet I hear a lot of negative from friends who's schools have implemented it :/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)