Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Spitting driving me CRAZY!

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:56 PM
  • 12 Replies

I just wrote a positive post, but this is driving me crazy! I have to give a little history for you to understand why I am a little confused how to handle this one.

Nicolas went to the feeding clinic to help him expand his variety of foods. Which we are still working on. Well, one of the things that he needed at the time was to have a way to expel the food when he was getting ready to gag and throw up. So, we allowed him to spit in a bowl at the table. He got disciplined for spitting anywhere else. Which was his toys that he played with while eating was taken away for 5 seconds. I still do this at meal time if he spits.

Well, now he has started to spit all the time. He will sit there watching tv, or we will be in the truck and all of a sudden you can hear him start to spit. (He has been slobbering all his life and still does) I don't know if the spitting has to do with his slobbering and realizing that he is doing it, or something else. But I know for the last couple of days it has been getting worse. I think I am going to call the Psychologist that he was under at the feeding clinic and see if she has any ideas. But until then, what do you ladies think? What should I do, if anything? It is really starting to bug me.

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maciymommieof3
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this

if he constantly slobbers and does not like, he is now aware of a way to get rid of it.....I suggest you give him hankerchief and tell him he can lean into it and get rid of the slobber that way.

just the only thing I can think of at the moment

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:40 PM
I can try that thx.

Quoting maciymommieof3:

if he constantly slobbers and does not like, he is now aware of a way to get rid of it.....I suggest you give him hankerchief and tell him he can lean into it and get rid of the slobber that way.

maciymommieof3
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:42 PM

your welcome.... 

Quoting Nickmom1118:

I can try that thx.

Quoting maciymommieof3:

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Nov. 14, 2013 at 6:21 AM
Bump
tiffyhamm
by Tiffy on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:06 AM

My kid used to slobber and spit for what was to us, no apparent reason.  We found out he had acid reflux, which probably explained why he had so many spit up issues as an infant.  His dr prescribed some liquid Zantac (can't remember the name of the generic kind fully, but I think it's Ranitidine) and that has pretty much cut all that spitting out. 

johnns
by Johnna on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this
We don't exactly have that problem, but in a house with 2 NT teenage boys- living in TN, its the 'redneck ' thing to do! My boys started that nonsense around age 10, though they don't 'dip'.
My 5 yro ASD daughter feels the need to spit- on our floors in the HOUSE! So NOT lady like, and on our FLOOR?!? Disgusting!
I thank my boys for that one! Geeze!
Good luck! I thought the spitting in a hanky was a cool idea, maybe a bandanna?
Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:48 AM
He has had reflux for a long time. He has been taking that same med for over a year. I don't know if the spitting has to do with that or not. He hasn't been spitting up, just regular spitting his slobber.

Quoting tiffyhamm:

My kid used to slobber and spit for what was to us, no apparent reason.  We found out he had acid reflux, which probably explained why he had so many spit up issues as an infant.  His dr prescribed some liquid Zantac (can't remember the name of the generic kind fully, but I think it's Ranitidine) and that has pretty much cut all that spitting out. 

tiffyhamm
by Tiffy on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Quoting Nickmom1118:

He has had reflux for a long time. He has been taking that same med for over a year. I don't know if the spitting has to do with that or not. He hasn't been spitting up, just regular spitting his slobber.

Quoting tiffyhamm:

I know what you mean, mine doesn't spit anything out like food, but it's more like a thick, bubbly drool, lol. The meds seems to cut that out a lot, but there are times where he still does it.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Sounds sensory based to me. My son is a sensory seeker orally. So he did this for a while. He would spit food juice or just spit. We just repeatedly told him no. It was a phase for him though. He doesn't do it now. He has gone into that phase 2 times so I understand being upset about it. I would definately talk to the doctor and see if there is something that you can do about it

Lisamg
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

You could also try telling him to go spit into the toilet when he needs to spit. My son didn't do the spitting, he burped very loudly. He did this for years often at the exact wrong time. Usually around parents with girls who didn't act like him. At 15 he doesn't burp for fun anymore. Good luck. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN