Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my sons school needs to get a clue

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:16 AM
  • 20 Replies

here's a little back story,my son is 6 he has pdd/nos as well as some type of learning problems..he has a speech delay and hearing loss..hes getting so far behind in school...and he cant do the work...well the teacher wanted to talk to me after class last week..and she was mad because he wont even try the work..i said how is he to try to add and subtract when he cant even count...and she says all snotty like "well does he even have autism any ways"....i was like whoa back up a min here excuse me? I've had it with this school but I'm at a loss what to do..its a never ending battle with this teacher...his things keep coming up missing as well...his winter coat his hoodie,2 hats and a pair of gloves...she say well its not her job to watch his things...i just wanna scream...

by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Wow, I think I'd be going over her head by now.  If she does not believe he has a disability, she certainly is not doing anything to support it!  Does he have an IEP that she is expected to follow?  If so, I'm wondering if she is.

The hats/gloves I get,  My kids loose SOOOOOO many and are oblivious to what theirs look like.  But a coat?  How does anyone lose a coat or hoodie?!  Does he have an aide?  If so, they should be helping with this.

patnic
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Time for a meeting!

SnowWhieQueen
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:44 AM

he does have an iep...but its for his speech and ot,we r trying to get it changed...he has an autism dr. as well trying to help out..he does have a tss that is there 2 hrs in the morning but  the school wont give him an aid ..the principal said there's only something wrong with him if she says so...I've been threw this battle with her in the past with my 11 yr old that has pdd/nos as well,but hes in  different bldg now....yeah his coats no where in that school i went threw with him after school that day...and she knows he has to have a hat on to go out side..he has a chronic ear infection and a hole in his ear drum..I've called the head of the special ed dep ..and they said they would do the eval with out the principal's ok so that he can get the help...plus his tss,and the company they work under said they would turn the school in if they didn't do the eval.. i think that teacher has it out for him tho...she does everything to make it harder for him ..he cries every morning..it breaks my heart

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Wow, I think I'd be going over her head by now.  If she does not believe he has a disability, she certainly is not doing anything to support it!  Does he have an IEP that she is expected to follow?  If so, I'm wondering if she is.

The hats/gloves I get,  My kids loose SOOOOOO many and are oblivious to what theirs look like.  But a coat?  How does anyone lose a coat or hoodie?!  Does he have an aide?  If so, they should be helping with this.

Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Hugs Mama!!  That stinks! 

Quoting SnowWhieQueen:

he does have an iep...but its for his speech and ot,we r trying to get it changed...he has an autism dr. as well trying to help out..he does have a tss that is there 2 hrs in the morning but  the school wont give him an aid ..the principal said there's only something wrong with him if she says so...I've been threw this battle with her in the past with my 11 yr old that has pdd/nos as well,but hes in  different bldg now....yeah his coats no where in that school i went threw with him after school that day...and she knows he has to have a hat on to go out side..he has a chronic ear infection and a hole in his ear drum..I've called the head of the special ed dep ..and they said they would do the eval with out the principal's ok so that he can get the help...plus his tss,and the company they work under said they would turn the school in if they didn't do the eval.. i think that teacher has it out for him tho...she does everything to make it harder for him ..he cries every morning..it breaks my heart

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

SnowWhieQueen
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

we have one soon thank goodness

Quoting patnic:

Time for a meeting!

SnowWhieQueen
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:49 AM

thank you!!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Hugs Mama!!  That stinks! 

Quoting SnowWhieQueen:

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:09 PM

This is when you need to find an advocate for you and your child. You, as mom, can only do so much. When you get an outside person that knows the law and knows autism, it can really get things moving. I have been blessed that I have had no major problems with my son's school or his teachers. But where I take my son to therapy, I hear the other moms talking about the problems they have. One teacher is actually being investigated by the police! The head person at our clinic goes to these schools and advocates for these families. He usually gets stuff done and takes no prisoners! 

.Bad.Wolf.
by Megan on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Thankfully both the preschool & elementary school here have been wonderful with my boys. I'm sorry you're having trouble with yours though :( I agree with the PP, get an advocate. That school needs an overhaul NOW.

My 7 year old has PDD-NOS too, but his problems are mostly social ones. He's on an IEP & is pulled out for therapy. He loves school & his teachers.

My 5 year old has classic Autism, basically non-verbal & not potty trained. He'll start Kindergarten next year, but the grade school is already working on getting his schedule set up, his future therapy teachers are already going to the preschool to meet him & they are already looking for an aide for him.

They've been absolutely fantastic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SnowWhieQueen
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:18 PM

that's awesome..our school is stubborn tho..his tss goes with me and his mobile therapist and then on the speaker phone was the company they work for because of the problems we have had.

Quoting TheLadyAmalthea:

This is when you need to find an advocate for you and your child. You, as mom, can only do so much. When you get an outside person that knows the law and knows autism, it can really get things moving. I have been blessed that I have had no major problems with my son's school or his teachers. But where I take my son to therapy, I hear the other moms talking about the problems they have. One teacher is actually being investigated by the police! The head person at our clinic goes to these schools and advocates for these families. He usually gets stuff done and takes no prisoners! 

SnowWhieQueen
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:22 PM

i wish  the people around here were like that..but its like back woods hick town people around here i think...i just don't get it..im glad ur kids are doing well tho thats always a blessing!! my 11 yr old is doing well for once in school this yr he got a really good teacher.

Quoting .Bad.Wolf.:

Thankfully both the preschool & elementary school here have been wonderful with my boys. I'm sorry you're having trouble with yours though :( I agree with the PP, get an advocate. That school needs an overhaul NOW.

My 7 year old has PDD-NOS too, but his problems are mostly social ones. He's on an IEP & is pulled out for therapy. He loves school & his teachers.

My 5 year old has classic Autism, basically non-verbal & not potty trained. He'll start Kindergarten next year, but the grade school is already working on getting his schedule set up, his future therapy teachers are already going to the preschool to meet him & they are already looking for an aide for him.

They've been absolutely fantastic.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)