Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Speechless just found this on anothe group page

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:39 PM
  • 34 Replies

Here's My Very Unpopular Opinion On Autism, ADHD and other rapidly rising disorder.
by Anonymous
18 minutes ago
2 likes
I'm going anon for this to avoid all the personal backlash that is going to come with "my" theory.

So, autism (I'm going to use autism in this post, but my post is meant to encompass ADHD, ODD, and other disorders) is on the rise. That's undisputed, but why? They say it isn't the vaccinations and honestly with tighter and tighter FDA regulations I was never really a fan of this theory. I'm quite sure back in our grandparent and parents polyester wearing, lead paint using, prenatal smoking and drinking days, there was much worse crap in that huge shot they gave them, you know the one all our parents sport that left that round scar on their forearm.
Was it the food? I'm doubtful of that too. Granted people did eat home more, but they still had crap in their McDonald's, Swanson frozen dinners and it was all eaten of bpa plastic and carcinogenic styrofoams.

It's on the rise because we've mainstreamed these disabilities.

When our grandparents had out parents, if a child was "different" they didn't toss them out into society and try to mold them into normal people. They accepted the raw hard truth, they're child wasn't normal and would never be. Even with medication to make them normal, they didn't try to interject them into a normal society, educate them in a normal manner, employ them in a normal manner and expect them to wed and reproduce in a normal manner. These we the children who permentaly lived home with Ma and Pa. Sadly, sometimes these children were instutiionalized, but for the most part, they were just the special kids who we all knew would never live a cookie cutter life. They were loved all the same, but part of that love was the tough love of the realization and acceptance of their future.

Fast forward to our parents having kids. Special children were included, they were medicated and forced to conform to a normal life. Our parents, while well intentioned, fought for the rights for the special needs kids to have the same education, the same employment and the same marital/reproductive future as their normal counterparts.

What was once a genetic flaw occurring in every 1 in 100,000 kids turned into one that occurred in every 1 in 10,000 and then every 1 in 1,000 to now greater than every 1 in 100!!!! It's not our food source, (cancer can claim that) its not our drugs. It's our BLIND COMPASSION that is ruining our gene pool.

Then there is the other rampet issue of mental health disease and crime. In bygone years, the severely mentally disturbed were instutiionalized, now we treat 'em and street 'em as they so put it within the medical community. Asides from the above happening reproductively, they are also slipping out of control, cracking and shooting up rooms full of kindergartners, theaters full of movie goers and malls full of shoppers. We don't need gun control, we need mental health control.

Sally meets Johnny, Johnny needs lithium daily but overall he is a great guy, he loves Sally, treats her like a queen. They have three kids, he is a wonderful father, husband and provider, until one day he thinks he doesn't need those little pills anymore. Then Sally finds out what a monster Johnny is. He snaps gets fired, drains their bank accountant hits her. She leaves him, but now how much of that crazy was passed on to those three little innocent kids.

Hey I am prepared for the bashing and quite honestly I have perfectly normal healthy children. If mine were not, I would probably initially be defensive of this post, but ultimately, think I would come around as to protect the hardship being genetically passed on to my grandchildren whom may be.

I didn't write this
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Be careful what groups you go in.  That one in particular is not known for being supportive or politically correct.

That poster is just looking for a drama and to get a rise out of people.  Don't let it get to you.  People can't choose autism, they can choose ignorance.  Know when to pick your battles.  She's not it!  Hugs Mama! 

tinkerspell
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM

wow that is one crazy post ingnorance is bliss aint it lol

culinaryqueen
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Wow....
jowen905
by Jan on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:21 PM
3 moms liked this

This post is a non-event.  The errors made by this woman in her feeble attempt at a post make it glaringly obvious that ignorance is the forerunner in her personality.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 2:27 PM

eugenics has been around for a long time. That's why we went to war in World War II.

The horrible thing is, she mixes ignorance with some truth.

It is true we need better mental health coverage in this country. A lot of the cases she cites are people who fell through the HUGE cracks and didn't get continuous mental health help. But these people *DO* deserve to live life to its fullest extent possible.

I have ADHD. I didn't know I had ADHD until I had my son. Yeah, the medication helps tremendously. What? I shouldn't work and have a life b/c I have ADHD even though I'm fully functional? what about ASD? schizophrenia? If mental health support and medication make it possible for somebody to live a full productive life, nobody should tell them/us they shouldn't.

As for genes being passed down, she should remember that all genes regress or progress towards the norm. Mother nature takes care of the gene pool for us. There's been an increase in these mental health issues b/c of better diagnosing and another unknown reason. Nobody knows why. But its not the mentally defective passsing on their genes -- it just doesn't work that way. Mother nature does the gene selection to minimize defects and to think that we can interfer in that process in some kind of macro way is, well, why World War II got started.

Linda733
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Totally agreed!! It's not even worth thinking about twice. Went in one ear and the other as I read it..

Quoting jowen905:

This post is a non-event.  The errors made by this woman in her feeble attempt at a post make it glaringly obvious that ignorance is the forerunner in her personality.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 2:45 PM
6 moms liked this

Cant fix stupid, even with medication. 

lancet98
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 2:52 PM
2 moms liked this

Not really.   For one thing, most of those disorders aren't particularly disabling in a primitive environment.   Schizophrenics and autistics may have been made shamans or holy people in some cultures, but even in very early cultures, injured and disabled people were often protected and cared for.   Clearly, some early cultures valued them.

And as well, most really serious mental illnesses don't start until an age when, through most of our history, many human beings would have been approaching the end of their lives and were well past their producing years.   Carrying genes for those disorders may have had very little effect on the parents OR the children.

The thing is that all these disorders aren't caused by one gene.   They're caused by MANY genes, and the genes interact with each other.  

For that reason, the heritability of these disorders works out to be rather LOW.   They're genetic, but the odds of inheriting every single gene form and having the illness are actually rather low.  For example, the lifetime adjusted risk of schizophrenia, with one schizophrenic parent, is only 14%.

It's as if you were talking about a cloud, that only rained on you if you stood exactly dead center under the cloud.

Too, these gene forms aren't always inheritable or inherited; they're often mutations unique to only that individual, and can't be passed on to offspring.

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

genes regress or progress towards the norm. Mother nature takes care of the gene pool for us. There's been an increase in these mental health issues b/c of better diagnosing and another unknown reason. Nobody knows why. But its not the mentally defective passsing on their genes -- it just doesn't work that way. Mother nature does the gene selection to minimize defects and to think that we can interfer in that process in some kind of macro way is, well, why World War II got started.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 14, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't bother reading or responding to posts like this.  

Charizma77
by Carissa on Nov. 14, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Same for me

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I don't bother reading or responding to posts like this.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)